You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Text on Path Always Upside Down

The text on the bottom half on a circle is always upside down and is unreadable and stupid. I'VE RESEARCHED FOR TWO HOURS and can't find a solution. Flipping doesn''t help, baseline doesn't help, nothing helps. Take a look at the file. ANY HELP WOULD BE NICE. FYI Type on a path is the only reason I use affinity designer.

Screenshot 2018-08-15 at 4.53.55 AM.png

Hi duff12345,

If you select the circle (ellipse) you're using for your text on a path, convert it to curves (Shift Enter on the keyboard) or 'Convert to Curves' from the context menu along the top of the screen. Then select the left and right 'node' of the circle using the 'Node' tool. Break the curve so you now have two semi-circles.

Add 'Pete's Fine Dining' to the top curve and 'est 1977' to the bottom curve using the 'Artistic Text Tool', centre the text on both by selecting 'text centre' and drag the green triangle left or right as apporpriate so the text is centred on both paths.

For the 'est 1977', flip the text and then use the 'baseline' setting in the 'Character' panel to negatively offset the text accordingly and you should be able to achive what you're looking for...

UPDATE

As mentioned by people more knowledgable than myself, simply hitting 'Enter' after entering the first line of text means there is no need to convert the circle to curves or cut in in half as I suggested above. You learn something new everyday :-)

pete's-fine-dining.jpg

Affinity Designer 2.4.2 | Affinity Photo 2.4.2 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.2
Affinity Designer 1.7.3 | Affinity Photo 1.7.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.10.8
MacBook Pro 16GB, macOS Monterey 12.7.4, Magic Mouse

Hello duff12345,

Once you have typed the top text, press "Enter" and enter the bottom text. Then set the base line of the bottom text to match the top text.

Texte sur cercle.jpg

1 hour ago, duff12345 said:

The text on the bottom half on a circle is always upside down and is unreadable and stupid. I'VE RESEARCHED FOR TWO HOURS and can't find a solution. Flipping doesn''t help, baseline doesn't help, nothing helps. Take a look at the file. ANY HELP WOULD BE NICE. FYI Type on a path is the only reason I use affinity designer.

It' simply a matter of typing it one one line and then adjusting the orange or green handles.

The green handle starts 'Pete' 

pete1.jpg.85353a3387d7c23d44cea1640b92527c.jpg

See the position of the orange line in the (second image) to starts 'Est 1977'

pete.jpg.17c6009049b41706675f24712f5d3fb6.jpg

You can use baseline shift to move the text below the line.

pete3.jpg.4a3a0e07a73e23e275bf7c326b709bf3.jpg

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

To follow on from what @toltec said...

When you click to add the text to a circle with the Artistic Text tool, the place where you click is important.
If you click outside the circle, the text will flow around the outside in a clockwise direction.
If you click inside the circle, the text will flow around the inside in an anticlockwise direction.
Pressing the "Reverse Text Path" button - to the right of the Baseline setting on the context toolbar - will switch between the two.
You can then change the Baseline, as mentioned, to move the text to the "other side" of the circle if necessary.

In @duff12345's original post, the object - including the text - has been flipped which is why the text looks backwards; essentially you're reading the text in a mirror.
You shouldn't need to convert anything to curves, just click in the right place for the direction you want then change the baseline if necessary.

• 2 years later...
  • 2 years later...

I spent ages trying to resolve why my text was typing backwards on a particular wavy shape. It was typing the correct way on other shapes and a circle.  Then it dawned on me; this particular shape had been flipped horizontally. 😒