You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer Customer Beta - 1.6.5.123

Click here to download the latest beta

Purpose: Stability
Requirements: A valid product key (for Affinity Store purchases), or an installation of the full retail version from the Microsoft Store

As this is a beta it is considered to be not suitable for production use. This means that you should not attempt to use it for commercial purposes or for any other activity that you may be adversely affected by the application failing, including the total loss of any documents. 

We hope you enjoy the latest build, and as always, if you've got any problems, please don't hesitate to post here and we'll get back to you as soon as we can. Thanks once again for your continued feedback.

If you have a general question about the software, please head over to the Questions Forum, or if you have any suggestions, please head over to the Feature Requests forum.

Fixes

• Fixed Document Setup dialog failing to show correct Height and Width values when switching between portrait modes

• Fixed incorrect colour from CMYK waterfall model

• Added check for disabled .NET 3.5 during installation 

• Fixed crash caused by Shift clicking to select slices

• Added Blend Modes to radial controller

• Fixed Global Opacity on radial controller

• Fixed History on radial controller

• Fixed PDF import crash when a soft mask doesn't load

• Fixed PDF Import hang

• Fixed resized floating panel not sticking when swapping to a different panel 

• Fixes included in the 1.6.5.119 AD customer beta

2 hours ago, Mark Ingram said:

Fixed Info panel not showing W, H and D information in document units

o.O

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

• Staff
35 minutes ago, αℓƒяє∂ said:

o.O

photo (and Publisher) only, removed

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

For the first time ever…

"Setup Failed"

No explanation. Is there an install log somewhere?

Tried reinstalling, and failed a second time.

Ran Designer Beta (to confirm still version 119) - it was.

Quit, and tried install a third time.

"Setup Completed Successfully"

Hmm. Odd.

Also… Please, please, please can the installer show the full build number 1.6.5.xxx?

Perhaps even tell you Current Version > New Version.

Win10 Home x64   |   AMD Ryzen 7 2700X @ 3.7GHz   |   48 GB RAM   |   1TB SSD   |   nVidia GTX 1660   |   Wacom Intuos Pro

• Staff
15 minutes ago, Aammppaa said:

@Jon W Is it useful to send you the 3 install logs? (2 Failed and 1 Success)

Where should I send it?

please email the logs (zipped) to affinityqa@serif.com or upload to our dropbox "Forum Uploads" folder

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

12 hours ago, Mark Ingram said:

We have this fixed, and will be available in a future patch.

This is a real game changer.
Thank you for this info @Mark Ingram

Never be the Same Again !
---
Dell Optiplex 5090 SFF
Intel Core i5-10500T @2.30GHz with 12GiB 2666MHz DDR4
Intel UHD Graphics 630 for 10th Generation
M.2 2280, 512 GB, PCIe NVMe Gen3 x4, Class 40 SSD

Windows 11 Pro x64 22H2 + LibreOffice 7.5.3

15 hours ago, Mark Ingram said:

Click here to download the latest beta

Purpose: Stability
Requirements: A valid product key (for Affinity Store purchases), or an installation of the full retail version from the Microsoft Store

As this is a beta it is considered to be not suitable for production use. This means that you should not attempt to use it for commercial purposes or for any other activity that you may be adversely affected by the application failing, including the total loss of any documents. 

We hope you enjoy the latest build, and as always, if you've got any problems, please don't hesitate to post here and we'll get back to you as soon as we can. Thanks once again for your continued feedback.

If you have a general question about the software, please head over to the Questions Forum, or if you have any suggestions, please head over to the Feature Requests forum.

Fixes

• Fixed Document Setup dialog failing to show correct Height and Width values when switching between portrait modes

• Fixed incorrect colour from CMYK waterfall model

• Added check for disabled .NET 3.5 during installation 

• Fixed crash caused by Shift clicking to select slices

• Added Blend Modes to radial controller

• Fixed Global Opacity on radial controller

• Fixed History on radial controller

• Fixed PDF import crash when a soft mask doesn't load

• Fixed PDF Import hang

• Fixed resized floating panel not sticking when swapping to a different panel 

• Fixes included in the 1.6.5.119 AD customer beta

Comes just at a right time, i'm about to start a new project.
Will surely download, install and proceed with feedback.

Guys at Serif, you rocks !
Blessings to @Mark Ingram and your entire team.

---
Dell Optiplex 5090 SFF

it is me dreaming or ... the Affinity Teams are getting faster at releasing new versions ?
Photo + Designer Betas released at the same time !!! Whoow, guys you rock.

Well, here too i would say, download was okay unless few network failure (but it was on my side ... aka ISP issues), still i see beta 123 is 25KB much bigger than beta 119, are we talking about a fix version only ?

Now, installation went quite at the same speed as Photo Beta 123 did and did not fail at all.
Software loading is even better, i would say faster than 119 with the same number of fonts installed, which is a nice thing for this category of test.

Here too i will revert with more after i have done some work with it on coming Projects.

Well beta 119 was good to me i hoe this will do the work, the Background of the attached poster + Speakers photo was re-scaled (+bicubic resampling) color and temperature corrected, noise and scratch cleaned, blurred, enlightened etc ... with Beta 119; a proof that some work can be achieved with Beta version to help us experience more with our tools !
-- All vectors works (smart shape + fonts etc) was done with Designer 1.6.1 stable on Mac (because i have more memory in that unit) i hope to give a try to this beta version of designer on my windows unit.

@Mark Ingram @Patrick Connor another good job here again.
Blessings to Y'All at Serif !

Poster 4.png

---
Dell Optiplex 5090 SFF

On 8/15/2018 at 12:56 PM, matt.baker said:

Mouse scrolling and auto scrolling while making a selection seems to stop the selection.

Edit: Hmm, also happens in the main release so may be my machine.

Edit 2: Verified on another machine running AD.

2018-08-15_12-04-31.gif.8213f61979018bf947ada22c36b2e102.gif

Can't replicate.

make sure you select all of the objects, not half selected like you do in the animation, then the selection will be just fine.

So, drag the selection tool all over the objects, covering all the objects left to right and top to bottom then it will select the objects.

Make sure while selecting the corners of the objectbox turn blue, otherwise you didn't select them correctly.

@Tourmaline@ sorry, I should have been clearer: it's the fact that the blue selection marquee cancels when scrolling rather than the objects not being selected. Try scrolling up and down a few times using the scroll wheel with the left mouse button is held down while making a selection marquee.

In the screen capture GIF I did not release the left mouse button so it shouldn't have canceled.

Highly recommended open source screen capture software (useful for bug reports).

CrPzyCp.jpg

https://getsharex.com/

1 hour ago, matt.baker said:

@Tourmaline@ sorry, I should have been clearer: it's the fact that the blue selection marquee cancels when scrolling rather than the objects not being selected. Try scrolling up and down a few times using the scroll wheel with the left mouse button is held down while making a selection marquee.

In the screen capture GIF I did not release the left mouse button so it shouldn't have canceled.

In a short experiment it behaves just fine for me, either with autoscroll or manual scrolling.

I'm not sure why you bother using the scroll wheel, though. It seems much simpler and easier on the hand to simply let the autoscroll do its job when the mouse reaches the top or bottom (or left/right) of the visible part of the document. Using the wheel just seems to be extra work for one's hand, and leads more easily to the possibility of accidentally releasing the mouse button due to the complexity of the actions the hand is performing.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

1 hour ago, matt.baker said:

I did as you suggested but still can't replicate!

1 hour ago, walt.farrell said:

In a short experiment it behaves just fine for me, either with autoscroll or manual scrolling.

55 minutes ago, Tourmaline said:

I did as you suggested but still can't replicate!

Thanks to both of you for trying this.

Found the recipe - it doesn't cancel after all, just slow to update:

Scroll so that the marquee disappears while moving the mouse cursor.

Keep the cursor moving and the marquee wont re-appear again until you stop moving the cursor (at least for me, and I've tried it on 4 machines now).

However, if just the cursor is moved with the selection started it doesn't disappear and updates straight away as expected.

2018-08-18_15-27-04.thumb.gif.32cad61755c0dad380c1b861eedc5fa4.gif

The expected behaviour, in my opinion, would be that the marque is always visible if the left mouse button remains pressed no matter what type of movement is performed.

Admittedly it's a corner case, but still unexpected behaviour, and should be fixed.

1 hour ago, walt.farrell said:

I'm not sure why you bother using the scroll wheel, though. It seems much simpler and easier on the hand to simply let the autoscroll do its job when the mouse reaches the top or bottom (or left/right) of the visible part of the document. Using the wheel just seems to be extra work for one's hand, and leads more easily to the possibility of accidentally releasing the mouse button due to the complexity of the actions the hand is performing.

Everyone works differently and uses different tools/setups :12_slight_smile:

I find the moving of the cursor all the way to the edge of the page and the slow + inaccurate auto scroll not to my liking especially on a high DPI monitor. Scrolling seems faster for me and more precise (well defined increments on each scroll). Admittedly I could hold CTRL and scroll to zoom out first but still not as simple in my opinion. I also frequently use the ALT modifier while scrolling for horizontal movement.

Note: I also use a trackball mouse so that may also be why scrolling while moving the mouse is easily achieved?

I could say, in jest (and making assumptions): I'm not sure why you bother using a standard mouse, though. Moving your whole hand seems to be extra work vs. just using your thumb to move the cursor :10_wink:

Highly recommended open source screen capture software (useful for bug reports).

CrPzyCp.jpg

https://getsharex.com/

I just bought  affinity photo, installed it, but it doesn't open. It crushes while loading.
Can I please get some help?
Also, why would you charge for a beta version that still needs work and has problems?
I'm obviously not an expert.
I'd love some help and hopefully it will open and work.
I'm using windows 10 on a pretty new computer.

8 hours ago, ValeG said:

I just bought  affinity photo, installed it, but it doesn't open. It crushes while loading.
Can I please get some help?
Also, why would you charge for a beta version that still needs work and has problems?
I'm obviously not an expert.
I'd love some help and hopefully it will open and work.
I'm using windows 10 on a pretty new computer.

First, you're in the wrong forum, this is the Designer beta forum. You should go to the Photo forum.

Second, you can install the final versions as you like. No need to use the beta's where there's a chance of  problems.

The final version and the beta version will install next to eachother, so you can use both as you like.

Did you upgrade your graphics card drivers? I would start with that. And make sure you reboot before you even try to start Affinity Photo.

Not a stability issue, but is there any hope that Designer (and indeed Photo) will ever address the suggestions most broadly summarised in https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/52572-preferences-add option-to-removehide-brush-outline/&tab=comments#comment-320537? Sean P posted back in July that this was on the roadmap, but we're now well over a year later for a game-changer for us digital painting folks.

Every so often I stop by the beta in hope, but....

5 minutes ago, whitehead said:

Sean P posted back in July that this was on the roadmap, but we're now well over a year later

If something is ‘on the [1.x] roadmap’, it means it will be added in a free update to version 1.There is no indication of which particular point release will include the feature, or how long we’ll have to wait for it.

Alfred spacer.png

5 hours ago, αℓƒяє∂ said:

There is no indication of which particular point release will include the feature, or how long we’ll have to wait for it.

Mmm - heartily aware of that, but really looking for a response from Affinity as to if this feature is on the horizon and in the various conversations that have drifted around this, any word from Affinity has been absent since last summer. Some sense of timescale (this month/season/year etc) would be helpful: both versions of Affinity lie unused by me, because of this particular feature absence.

14 minutes ago, whitehead said:

Mmm - heartily aware of that, but really looking for a response from Affinity as to if this feature is on the horizon and in the various conversations that have drifted around this, any word from Affinity has been absent since last summer. Some sense of timescale (this month/season/year etc) would be helpful: both versions of Affinity lie unused by me, because of this particular feature absence.

In preferences---UserInterface you can tick "show always crosshair. I recon if you don't tick it, you won't see a crosshair?!

9 minutes ago, Tourmaline said:

In preferences---UserInterface you can tick "show always crosshair. I recon if you don't tick it, you won't see a crosshair?!

The problem is the presence of the brush outline, not the crosshairs. :)

Alfred spacer.png