For some fonts problems arise in Designer in the font style dropdown. As you can see in the images below Windows shows the several types of the Bahnschrift-font the correct way, but in Designer there's only a list full of 'Regular's for this font. The font is included in the attachments.

font-problems-designer.jpg

font-in-windows.jpg

Bahnschrift Bold Condensed.otf

That is a variable font. Affinity applications have no support for variable fonts. 

My computer is a nothing-special Toshiba laptop with unremarkable specs running Windows 10 64-bit.

1 hour ago, MikeW said:

That is a variable font. Affinity applications have no support for variable fonts. 

@MikeW Thanks for your reaction. If that's the case here the font should not show up in the application.

Why should it not show up? Technically it's just an OpenType font. But the innards have instructions that Affinity applications do not yet understand. 

Affinity applications asks the OS for a list fonts that the OS in turn sends it. That AD is not coded to adjust the axes contained in it isn't important. 

I suspect that eventually Affinity products will support these types of fonts.

My computer is a nothing-special Toshiba laptop with unremarkable specs running Windows 10 64-bit.