You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Wrong jpg color when exporting from RAW photo

I've imported RAW photo into affinity photo. The colors are what they should be. Then I export photo in jpg format at maximum quality. The resulting colors are not accurate. What is the problem? I got the same result exporting as TIFF format. The software I'm using for viewing the photo is not the problem. Can you help?

10 minutes ago, jp.rioux said:

I've imported RAW photo into affinity photo. The colors are what they should be. Then I export photo in jpg format at maximum quality. The resulting colors are not accurate. What is the problem? I got the same result exporting as TIFF format. The software I'm using for viewing the photo is not the problem. Can you help?

Raw files do not have an intrinsic colour. They do not have any colour until they are developed. When you say 'what they should be', I would guess you mean what they look like in some other raw viewer, which has applied its own criteria for development. What did you use to view your raw file?

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

I got a Nikon D810 and I use Nikon VIEW NX-i to look at the photo. I also have the original jpg photo directly from the camera. When I open the RAW file with AFFINITY PHOTO, the colors are the same. But if I export the photo using AFFINITY, the colors are not the same.

Gabriel, the RAW file is to large to attach it.

I did some test and found this:

- the color profile in the camera is set to ADOBE RGB (1998)

The RGB color profile in the color profile of preference panel of AFFINITY was set to "sRGBIEC1966-2.1", the export jpg photo don't have the correct colors.

If I change the RGB color profile to "ADOBE RGB(1988)" in the color setting of the preference panel of AFFINITY PHOTO, before uploading the RAW file then the exported jpg file is as per the original.

Does it means that AFFINITY does not detect the proper color profile of the photo when uploading it even if it looks OK?

21 minutes ago, owenr said:

The colour profile that' can be specified in a camera, and which you can see in the metadata of a camera raw file,  is for the JPEGs produced by the camera (including the JPEG preview that's embedded in a raw file) and it has nothing to do with the raw data.

I know that but how come the exported jpg as the wrong color.

1 hour ago, jp.rioux said:

I know that but how come the exported jpg as the wrong color.

It does not have the wrong color as such, but it may be set to use the wrong (or no) color profile for a particular purpose. You have control over that choice in the File > Export window after clicking on the JPEG (or most other) export formats by clicking on the "More" button at the bottom of the Export window. In the window that pops up, look for the "ICC Profile" popup item. It is probably set to a default of "Use document profile" but it may be set to something else depending on the JPEG preset you have chosen, or the profile you last used when exporting that document. There is also an option below that popup to Embed the ICC profile or not.

Changing anything here will override the settings in Preferences > Color, so before exporting the file, it is a good idea to check the various settings in the "More" window to make sure they are what you want them to be.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

26 minutes ago, R C-R said:

It does not have the wrong color as such, but it may be set to use the wrong (or no) color profile for a particular purpose. You have control over that choice in the File > Export window after clicking on the JPEG (or most other) export formats by clicking on the "More" button at the bottom of the Export window. In the window that pops up, look for the "ICC Profile" popup item. It is probably set to a default of "Use document profile" but it may be set to something else depending on the JPEG preset you have chosen, or the profile you last used when exporting that document. There is also an option below that popup to Embed the ICC profile or not.

Changing anything here will override the settings in Preferences > Color, so before exporting the file, it is a good idea to check the various settings in the "More" window to make sure they are what you want them to be.

Good point ... I did a test and effectively, if I choose ADOBE RGB (1998) as the export profile(in the "export window" as you suggest) the colors of the photo are accurate. It means that the color profile that I choose at the moment of taking the photo is important even if it is a raw file. And I have to choose the same profile when exporting photo.

Thank you R C-R:)

4 minutes ago, jp.rioux said:

And I have to choose the same profile when exporting photo.

Unless you want to use another profile (or no profile) for some reason. As mentioned in this article (among many others) it is often best to choose the plain old narrow gamut SRGB color space because it is in a sense "the world’s default color space." Even though it won't give you the stronger colors & finer color variations of wider gamut ones like Adobe RGB, it is the only one that some devices or apps support.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

17 minutes ago, owenr said:

Developing a raw file to an sRGB image is terrible advice!

I may not have been clear enough about it but I was not suggesting doing that. I was replying to this post, specifically about choosing ADOBE RGB (1998) as the export profile.

Affinity Photo 

1 hour ago, R C-R said:

Unless you want to use another profile (or no profile) for some reason. As mentioned in this article (among many others) it is often best to choose the plain old narrow gamut SRGB color space because it is in a sense "the world’s default color space." Even though it won't give you the stronger colors & finer color variations of wider gamut ones like Adobe RGB, it is the only one that some devices or apps support.

The problem I have is that the result, when exporting using sRGB profile, are not accurate and not acceptable to me. The imported RAW photo in AFFINITY is fine and is the same as the original jpg (out of the camera, because I shoot RAW and jpg using adobe RBG profile)`. Here is an example of a photo exported with ADOBE RGB profile selected and the other one using sRGB profile There is to much difference between the them. I'm unable to upload yhe photos.

28 minutes ago, jp.rioux said:

The problem I have is that the result, when exporting using sRGB profile, are not accurate and not acceptable to me.

If you are exporting to JPEG to use the file on a web page, you don't really have much control over how it will look to other people viewing that web page. The article I linked to explains more about why. It has nothing to do with Affinity.

Affinity Photo 

5 hours ago, GabrielM said:

Before developing

image.png

Adobe RGB

image.png

sRGB

image.png

Your jpeg

image.png

I cannot see any difference. Do you use a different app to view the RAW file? 

It is very strange. All the photo have accurate color using AFFINITY. It is the same if I use photoshop. But if I use FASTSTONE image viewer for example, all photo have accurate color except the one exported with AFFINITY using sRGB profile (the last one). Same thing with ON1 PHOTO RAW or if I upload the photo to flickr web site. Can you try open my jpg with other software?

18 hours ago, R C-R said:

If you are exporting to JPEG to use the file on a web page, you don't really have much control over how it will look to other people viewing that web page. The article I linked to explains more about why. It has nothing to do with Affinity.

I don't totally agree with you. I agree that I don't have much control over how it look to other people viewing that web page. But I don't agree that it has nothing to do with Affinity. Here is my thought: - the original jpg look fine every place I publish it (flickr or facebook). If I export the RAW file with Affinity using adobe RGB profile, photo looks accurate every where (flickr, facebook or if I open it with ON1 Photo Raw, Nikon view NX-i, FastStone viewer, etc) but if I export the RAW file with Affinity using sRGB profile photo don't have accurate color anywhere except if I reload it inside Affinity or Photoshop. So maybe there is something missing in the exif file?

Sorry for my english, It's not usual for me.

Edit: The exported sJPG file look more saturated then the exported adobe RGB file!

I really hate these threads, where we all are confronted with a problem, but  are not enabled to contribute a useful answer.  If the image in question is placed „secretly“ into a dropbox account, which we can’t access, we can’t say anything. Asking in a public forum means, to give everybody a chance to reply. If somebody wants to address only a certain person, he should do this by personal messaging.

If you want us to assist, give us the image. If it is to large give us a small sample image, showing the issue. If this isn’t possible (what I really doubt), place the image onto Dropbox and share the download link.

So, at least, give us the jpg, which is shown differently in AF/PS and „anywhere else“.

4 minutes ago, mac_heibu said:

I really hate these threads, where we all are confronted with a problem, but  are not enabled to contribute a useful answer.  If the image in question is placed „secretly“ into a dropbox account, which we can’t access, we can’t say anything. Asking in a public forum means, to give everybody a chance to reply. If somebody wants to address only a certain person, he should do this by personal messaging.

If you want us to assist, give us the image. If it is to large give us a small sample image, showing the issue. If this isn’t possible (what I really doubt), place the image onto Dropbox and share the download link.

So, at least, give us the jpg, which is shown differently in AF/PS and „anywhere else“.

I don't know why but I can't download anyfile here.