You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Odd Export Sizes from same Designer file

There are 4 groups in this .afdesign file, made to fill a 4K cinema screen (4096 x 2160) with alternating black lines, color space 2020. The two horizontal groups and two vertical groups are identical (I think), except that one is shifted point 5 pixels on the x or y axis.

The horizontal files export with identical file sizes. But the vertical centered file exports to a similar size (all less than a megabyte). But the 'offset' file is over 3 megabytes large.

When the tiff files are opened in Designer they look identical (with all the layers intact.) But in Preview they look dissimilar. (The horizontal files look different as well.)

I have tried all sorts of variations with similar results. (I also erased the final un-needed line recently in an attempt to change the result.)

Does this Export happen similar for others? Does the Tiff file look identical on your screen?  

Many thanks. I am using iMac 5K, 27, 4.2 OSX 10.13.6

horizontal_vertical_lines_4k_.afdesign

OffCenteredTest.tiff

CenteredTest.tiff

• Staff

Hi @TestTools,

I've had a look at your files. 

The "centred" group it is but it's not centred. By this, I mean the curve/line is "centred" in between 2 pixels. With a 1 px stroke, the edges of your stoke would fall .5 pixels to the left and right of the curve. The easiest way to visualise this is to turn the grid on with 1 px spacing and 1 division. 

image.png

Because your edges fall in between the pixels, you would get a blurry gray overall image. :)

Thanks,

Gabe. 

Right; Thanks GabrielM. 

I was bringing them (the TIFFs) back into Affinity and both the offset and non-offset (centered)versions looked perfect...but I never left Vector View mode...the problem is so obvious when shifting to Pixel View. Gads

But, 3 things.

1. What I want is a TIFF with the lines shifted so I can test the projector ability, handling offset pixels...! I suppose this is what people are asking for when they are asking to turn off the LZW Compression? I draw the pieces at the exact size in order not to need any compression.
  2. You'll notice that the master has horizontal line versions. They don't save at 3X the size with the lines shifted by .5, (though they do have that problem of turning to mush for the non-offset lines.) 
  3. I tried – before moving the lines as a group – to change them with the "Align Stroke to ______ Outside/Center/Inside", but they don't seem to move for me...that button works on others designs I've made...why not here? (...plus it doesn't appear anyway when more than one is chosen.) 

Thank you for the review. I hope you can let me know a way to get TIFFs with the pixels in different alignments (that is, no compression). The workflow tools after this requires TIFFs – that is, they don't import vectors or that would be a solution.

34 minutes ago, TestTools said:

What I want is a TIFF with the lines shifted so I can test the projector ability, handling offset pixels...! I suppose this is what people are asking for when they are asking to turn off the LZW Compression? I draw the pieces at the exact size in order not to need any compression.

No. LZW Compression does not affect how something displays or prints. It only affects how the data is stored internally in the file.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Wow, oh wow...there is always nuance...thanks walt.farrell

It seems that it is not only the nature of the TIFF export that the edges have to fall on certain bounds. I just tried PNG and PSD.

I need my offset, and I need at least 12 bits of color and obviously, the precision. 

On to other things. Again...thanks~!

• Staff

You will not be able to have a .5 pixels offset with a raster format. When an image is rendered, you cannot have half pixel white and half black. A pixel can only have 1 value.  

As for the "Align Stroke to" that only works with closed shapes.  Otherwise, you do not have an "inside" or "outside", and it will always be centred. 

Ah! So that is what the difference is for align stroke. I use it all the time in other drawings. As always, like learning a Mozart piece, only after a long while will it become obvious to me why a particular note had to have been chosen. 

Again, many thanks. I have eliminated all the odd 'aligned' TIFFs from my computer.