You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Good mouse for graphic work (Mac)

I have the mouse that came with my iMac 2017, but I think it’s not very good.. I’m mostly working on my iPad Pro with Apple Pencil, also with Astropad, but when I want to work directly on my iMac or MacBook Pro, I’d like to have a better mouse.. wireless or not, I just want a good mouse. 

I think the touch for the Magic Mouse is too sensitive.. 

Any suggestions from the pros? :-) 

sorry, it’s not only Affinity software issue.. 

10 minutes ago, Chezqui said:

You can adjust the sensitivity of the mouse in preferences.

AFAIK, you cannot adjust the touch sensitivity threshold of the touch surface of a Magic Mouse -- IOW, how much movement of a finger on that surface is required to be registered as inputting a touch gesture. So as it is, even the tiniest movement of the briefest of brushes of a finger will result in a scrolling (or whatever) action on the screen. At last for me, that makes that mouse very tedious & frustrating to use for anything that requires even a little precision, including essentially everything I want to do in an Affinity app.

YMMV.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

I wasn't very happy using the Apple mouse. Very touchy. Got lots of erratic movement w. the Affinity software. Tried a Logitech MX Anywhere 2. Not perfect, but better. Initially, I would get a pop-up window saying the battery needed re-charging. That stopped, and so sometimes there  is suddenly no connection. Need to keep the USB charging cable nearby.

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

20 minutes ago, 276ccm said:

Yea, that mouse is very frustrating :-) and a lot of extra work! Any suggestions is welcome! :-) 

Personally, I prefer my Kensington trackball to any mouse but that probably won't be the best choice for most users. For my wife, I got a 'no frills' Logitech M535 mouse, mostly because it is one of the least expensive ones with a 'tilt' scroll wheel function for left-right scrolling, occasionally useful for scrolling laterally on web pages.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

5 hours ago, 276ccm said:

I have the mouse that came with my iMac 2017, but I think it’s not very good.. I’m mostly working on my iPad Pro with Apple Pencil, also with Astropad, but when I want to work directly on my iMac or MacBook Pro, I’d like to have a better mouse.. wireless or not, I just want a good mouse. 

I think the touch for the Magic Mouse is too sensitive.. 

Any suggestions from the pros? :-) 

sorry, it’s not only Affinity software issue.. 

Hello @276ccm, nice question here.
Personaly i won't recommend you a mouse if you want to go drawing or all if you think about improving your graphic workflow and speed.

i struggled for months ... oh no ... years actually (not that i could do nothing but catch the point please) with mouse as due to my only IT Background i trusted mouse when i migrated to Digital Arts (yet i'm still learning); but i then discovered that things get better with a Pen Tablet when it comes to do Graphics Design or even Digital Art.

You can just ... you yourself a XP-PEN Deco 03, it's not an expensive one, it has a large area of work and few here attest Deco 03 is working well with affinity products; so ... go for it.
I'm using a Wacom One CTL-671 Pen tablet and it's quite good too but due it's small size (i know !) i'm thinking about upgrading to bigger one and switch the small tablet to my windows laptop where i do all photo works.

Also the use of Pen Tablet prevent you from tendinites as stated in many website; just google about and you will have much more info !
Not discouraging you about what you like but just pointing the other most used option out there.

You can still use your mouse but for general purposes if you see.

This was a bit long but i waned to make it clearer for you to understand.

Never be the Same Again !
---
Dell Optiplex 5090 SFF
Intel Core i5-10500T @2.30GHz with 12GiB 2666MHz DDR4
Intel UHD Graphics 630 for 10th Generation
M.2 2280, 512 GB, PCIe NVMe Gen3 x4, Class 40 SSD

Windows 11 Pro x64 22H2 + LibreOffice 7.5.3

11 hours ago, R C-R said:

AFAIK, you cannot adjust the touch sensitivity threshold of the touch surface of a Magic Mouse -- IOW, how much movement of a finger on that surface is required to be registered as inputting a touch gesture. So as it is, even the tiniest movement of the briefest of brushes of a finger will result in a scrolling (or whatever) action on the screen. At last for me, that makes that mouse very tedious & frustrating to use for anything that requires even a little precision, including essentially everything I want to do in an Affinity app.

YMMV.

I was referring to tracking speed which is adjustable.

50 minutes ago, Chezqui said:

I was referring to tracking speed which is adjustable.

I assumed as much, but for those of us that find the Mighty Magic Mouse too 'touchy' adjusting that that helps very little, if at all.

It is particularly annoying when trying to click & having to avoid even very small amounts of lateral finger movement which would otherwise move the pointer just as we click, often far enough that something other than what we want to target is selected, deselected, or moved. 

Edited by R C-R
Fixed wrong mouse reference

Affinity Photo 

I spent years using a mouse to create vector illustrations. There was no other option so I guess I got used to it. I think a more important point that someone made is the repetitive strain problems that can be associated with mouse work, so a pen is probably a much better idea.

spaceman_rngs.jpg

28 minutes ago, Chezqui said:

I think a more important point that someone made is the repetitive strain problems that can be associated with mouse work, so a pen is probably a much better idea.

Yes, repetitive stress injuries can be a serious problem. It is why I switched to the Kensington "Expert Mouse" trackball for general work long ago.

It is also one of the issues I have with the Magic Mouse -- I have to hold my clicking finger above its surface whenever I don't want touching it to trigger a gesture accidentally. That puts excessive strain on my hand during long work sessions. I need to avoid doing that because it aggravates some old repetitive stress injuries I got from using a regular mouse too much. 

Affinity Photo 

As for the most I use the iPad Pro with the Apple Pencil, even on the Mac’s via Astropad, so I don’t think the repetitive mouse clicks is going to be a huge issue for me.. I already click double of what I need too with the Magic Mouse ;-) 

Just something that feels good in the hand, and of course is very accurate. 

I used to have (a cheap Wacom (without the screen)) but never liked it.. 

:-)