You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How do lower you opacity in affinity photo

Hi affinity staff ive been fustrated for over 3 weeks beacuse, i have been trying to lower opacity in affinity photo. I tryed useing the opacity slider multiple times but nothing happend, i searched up videos but i got no info, please help

• Staff

Hi SRZ and Welcome to the Forums,

I've attached a very short video showing how the Opacity slider does work.  It should just be a case of moving that slider. 

Can you post a screen recording or screenshot of Affinity showing your layers panel, with a layer selected and the opacity slider set to 50% and we should be able to work out from that as to why it's not working for you :) 

1 hour ago, SRZ said:

Thank you for the reply, that's exactly what i did but nothing happend, i might be doing something wrong can you show me the steps

In the Layer Panel to the right, on the Layer you are trying to adjust the Opacity on, does it say Pixel or Image?

If it says Image Right click on the Layer and select Rasterise, then try to adjust the Opacity.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

3 minutes ago, firstdefence said:

In the Layer Panel to the right, on the Layer you are trying to adjust the Opacity on, does it say Pixel or Image?

If it says Image Right click on the Layer and select Rasterise, then try to adjust the Opacity.

It shouldn’t matter. Adjusting the layer opacity with either type of layer should work just the same.

We really need the OP to respond to @stokerg’s request for a screen recording or screenshot.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

I wonder if its the only layer but its just not selected, but SRZ is making the assumption it is because its the only layer. I've done dafter things.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

On the right, in the Layers panel - click on the layer (called “Background”). It will highlight. NOW, set the opacity slider. It should work now. You have to tell AP what Layer you’re working on before choosing settings for that layer. i.e., just because it’s the only layer doesn’t mean it’s selected. In your screenshot, it’s not.

Oh, and you’re moving the wrong slider anyway! The one you moved is for the Color Panel. The slider you want is at the top left of the Layers panel, and you still have to select a layer before you use it.

Affinity Photo 2, Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2 (latest retail versions) - desktop & iPad
Culling - FastRawViewer; Raw Developer - Capture One Pro; Asset Management - Photo Supreme
Mac Studio with M2 Max (2023}; 64 GB RAM; macOS 13 (Ventura); Mac Studio Display - iPad Air 4th Gen; iPadOS 17

Edit: Duplicated post removed

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

After you select the picture change the Opacity as shown below.

image2.jpg

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

1 hour ago, SRZ said:

I selected the picture but nothing is still happening someone please help.

Capture3.PNG

You are actually changing the Opacity of the colour on the Colour panel. That affects the Opacity of paint as you paint with the brush etc.

To change the Opacity of a whole layer, you need to User the Opacity control for the layer, as @carl123describes.

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.