You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

More options for exporting SVG

• 5 months later...

If I open an SVG in Illustrator CC and in Affinity Designer and then export the SVG from both apps (using the smallest file size settings in Illustrator), the Illustrator saved SVG is slightly smaller than the Affinity exported SVG.  And that remains true even though I select "Export for Viewing" in Affinity.  It would be nice to have file sizes the same or smaller than what Illustrator generates.  I am specifically thinking about WEB use.

• Staff

The fact that the Illustrator-produced SVG is only slightly smaller is frankly astounding, because no effort has been made to reduce the file size of the exported SVG yet. When we start looking at file size then it sounds like we can hope for a good reduction.

The current customer Beta no longer has "Export for Viewing". It has "Export for smallest size" instead. That does make some attempt to minimise the size. I just tried it and one file got:

• AppStore Editability: 695,170
  • AppStore Viewing: 639,966
  • Beta Editability: 631,760
  • Beta Smallest size: 572,631

so it can help.

• Staff

Sorry i wasn't very clear. When i said you already can create slices from layers for other formats i meant for raster formats. 

The vector formats are coming soon (SVG, EPS and PDF), will be integrated in the Export Persona and will work the same way.

I've edited my previous post to make it more clear.