You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Camtasia gotchas

dmstraker

If you're using Camtasia to record training videos (I use version 9.1 for my InAffinity YouTube channel), I've come across a couple of gotchas.

First is that drop-down menus may not work. Or at least seem to work. I find this happens particularly with Blend Modes. They are 'there' but have not been painted (sliding up/down makes them appear). A bit of clicking eventually gets them. My approach is the moment it happens I stop talking, which shows up as a blank on the sound timeline in Camtasia. I then talk when it appears and edit the gap out (which is easy with a mark/right-click/ripple delete). I've reported this as a bug and Serif have agreed and are going to look into it.

Second gotcha is that the Camtasia recorder snags Ctrl-M for dropping a marker into the timeline, which can be a pain if you want to use it to pull up Curves. Fortunately this is easy to fix. Click on Record (or use Ctrl-R) from the main record screen. Go to the Tools menu item and Options, then select Hotkeys. You can then reassign the Marker hotkey.

Dave Straker

Cameras: Sony A7R2, RX100V

Computers: Win10: Chillblast i9 Custom + Philips 40in 4K & Benq 23in; Surface Pro 4 i5; iPad Pro 11"

Favourite word: Aha. For me and for others.