You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Partial transparency to none?

You can’t recover information which was lost by making an image partially transparent, if that’s what you mean.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

@owenr Sort of yes. I'm just wanting to know how to make the edges of any image solid. Even using the shapes tool, the generated shape will have partially transparent edges.

Your suggestion worked and filled in the edges, but also filled in the rest of the canvas with black? Unless I misunderstood the instructions.

If youf image was partially erased (instead of using a mask and keep the original working file), you can dupplicate it until you recover enough of the partially transparent zones, and use level or curves adjustement to get back more colors.

But it's difficult to get back the original file.

Printed photos don’t usually have transparent bits unless you cut holes in the paper! If you want a sharp transition from a subject which is completely opaque to a background which is completely transparent (instead of the usual white) you can achieve this by adjusting the coverage map so that the profile is a horizontal line at the bottom on the left, a vertical line in the middle and then a horizontal line at the top on the right.

Alfred spacer.png

I’m currently on my iPad, so I’m afraid I can’t post a screenshot of the Coverage Map control since it isn’t available in the iPad app, but it’s as @owenr described:

Alfred spacer.png

Do you mean the ‘pink.afphoto’ file you attached earlier? In the unlikely event that no one else gets there first, I’ll take a look when I’m back on Windows, but meanwhile here’s a link to an old post with nice illustrations of various coverage map settings and their effects on antialiasing:

Alfred spacer.png

Hmm ... yes, very strange! I tried applying a Threshold adjustment in the iPad app but still got a transparent background and ‘grey’ pixels around the edges of the object. To make the image completely black and white I had to export to JPEG, open the new file and apply another Threshold adjustment.

Alfred spacer.png

30 minutes ago, owenr said:

That's the correct result. The region of the image that is not fully transparent is one pink colour with varying opacity in the pixels that define the border of that region. A threshold adjustment will make the pink become either all black or all white with varying opacity in the pixels that define the aforementioned border.

Thanks. I had somehow convinced myself that the end result should have a fully opaque white background, but that would clearly(!) only work when the pink becomes black so that you can still see it. 9_9

Alfred spacer.png

Ok, I think I did that right, but applying the curve changes all the layers even though I have just that one highlighted? I did isolate it by selecting the outline of that one layer, but then dragging the curve down afterwards to nest the rectangle made the effect disappear.

Or alternatively, I tried doing the curve on the nested pixel image but it doesn't give the same result?

On 8/13/2018 at 8:29 AM, Lonely Tears said:

Is Affinity Designer any easier for achieving solid pixels?

Yes, if what you want is a crisp solid edge to an object.

This is vector circle in Designer with a diameter of 30mm at 100%:

22453525_Screenshot2018-08-14at10_38_21.png.33ab6f8c89a4113f0f8802728231d8e0.png

and this is the document view enlarged to just over 12000%:

1561835027_Screenshot2018-08-14at10_09_36.png.f6d25703ad85df517817ebc32ce7f188.png

I've also attached a pdf exported from the document. Just over 5kb and again, crisp as a very crispy thing. If this is the effect you want to achieve, then try Designer.

circle.pdf

Affinity Photo 2.0.3,  Affinity Designer 2.0.3, Affinity Publisher 2.0.3, Mac OSX 13, 2018 MacBook Pro 15" Intel.