You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Color Picking Capabilities - AP

I would like to know if the following is possible:

Every photo is composed of numerous colors.  I would like to separate a photo into say 10 layers.  Each layer would contain certain colors ( reds, blues, yellows, etc,). With all layers on, you would have the complete photo.  With only 1 layer on, you would have only reds showing for example.  Can this be done and do you have any tips to make the process easier?  Thanks.

I assume you are using Photo, forget it in Designer.

The answer is: Yes, it is possible but then, it is possible to climb Mount Everest without oxygen ;)

I used to do that in Photoshop for T shirt printing, where RGB (or CMYK) images were printed using 10 or 12 spot colours, when four colour process could not be used. Like on a red shirt.

I did that using channels, but you can't do that in Affinity (no proper channel support) and I certainly wouldn't tackle it with an iPad.

If you just want it for a screen image (not output as solid colours for printing) you could use 'select sampled colours' and create a layer from each colour. The problem is, you will get a lot of overlap, or missing bits, so it will take you a long time. It will also be almost impossibly tough on an iPad. It was quite tough on a Mac with Photoshop and a 24" monitor!

My tip would be, use Photoshop on a big screen computer. Sometimes you do need to use the right tools for the job!

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.