You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

What prevents object selection? (Designer)

I'm having a hard time select an object in an artboard but I can't think of the cause behind it. I duplicated this object which is masked from another artboard and that one is selectable. Also, on the artboard where the unelectable object is, every other object is selectable.

It is not completely unelectable though, clicking it in the layers panel selects it, doing it directly with the V tool Move Tool doesn't. Here's a screenshot where it is selected:

1048848933_ScreenShot2018-08-10at16_28_55.thumb.png.55862d16e857c7169748aaeb4f8f455e.png

I thought maybe it was a glitch and it would go away by restarting Designer but it didn't. So it was me who did something and can't quite figure it out.

Any ideas? :)

Try holding CMD/(Ctrl on Windows) down and clicking on the object in the workspace. 

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

• Staff

Hi vitaprimo!

There doesn't appear to be any objects above the layer you are trying to select, but using the CMD/CTRL click option may help. Could you possibly upload a copy of your file so we can take a look into this for you? :) If you don't wish to make the file public you can upload it to the following link: 
https://www.dropbox.com/request/Y70o2CsyIhglzhkanhdp

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

Thanks for your replies, cmd-clicking it didn't work. It's odd. I copied the artboard to a new file to upload without all the junk (I'm saving history and embedding everything in it) and at the same time was kind of wishing it would work again but it didn't.

The mask is a group of elements, could that be it? The original object is the same and it works, though. Anyway, I'm attaching it here. Thanks for your help.

forumupload.afdesign

It's amazing how tiny how files get pre-export.

You have made quite a complex masking, it would be much simpler to use the gradient shape as a child to the lettering curve. This allows you to select the lettering curve from the workspace.

Modified See Added layer and child layer.afdesign

If you wanted to keep the design as you have done and still be able to select it, just use Outline View and click on the lettering curve.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Got it, thanks. I hadn't noticed I could mask that way.

The bad is that it doesn't work with a group of objects and, if I consolidate the group color is added to the otherwise invisible spacers I'm using to center things out. So even though I learned new things *geekemoji* I'm still on square 1. I think I'll just use outline view as you pointed out. If Designer were as ubiquitous as [the annoyingly cumbersome] Illustrator, I'd sign myself up for a workshop or something in a heartbeat; I think I saw something on Pluralsight, though...not sure.

Anyway, thanks again—to both.