You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

color profile on design persona and develop persona

I am using windows 10 with a Samsung 2494hs screen. I am a photographer. To get true color on my screen I downloaded the Samsung-Natural Color Pro 1.0 ICM. It do give me natural color in windows photo applications. I tested it with calibration pictures. When I open it in Afinity (after setting the color profile in preferences) it opens the calibration picture in a pinkish color - no white. when I assign the profile to the image then I get the pure white. But it changed the look of the image with my normal windows viewers to a blueish picture. Also when I open a raw photo there is no way I can assign the color profile in the development persona. How can I make the  Samsung-Natural Color Pro 1.0 ICM my default profile without changing the colors for the other windows programs.

Before I assign the profile:

image.thumb.png.076b8f1d67ce1e7c2f74fe25926324d8.png

After I assigned the profile:

image.thumb.png.da773bc9bc5cb2d918e4dc2cccb49b04.png

I belong to a photographic club. Editing my photos with affinity causes the photos to be projected with wrong colors via the clubs projecter. Similar as to what my normal windows viewers show me.

Some other info: I am using a digital DVI video cable to my screen and not the normal VGA analog cable. Could that be the problem?

• Staff

Hi  Philip Vivier,
Welcome to the forums!

I'd recommend reading the below post from James Ritson, our resident colour expert :)

The cable you use should make no difference, the colour profile will be determined by the monitor/projectors settings within your Windows settings.

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

I made an effort to change my windows display profile " Samsung-Natural Color Pro 1.0 ICM " in the control panel. Also under the advance settings. I also set it under afinity preference settings. All my programs "PhotoScape", "Infran View", "Photo", "Faststone" ect. open the calibration picture correctly but not Affinity Photo. It still gives me the yellowish/pinkish co;lors and no white. How can I resolve this.

9 minutes ago, Philip Vivier said:

I also set it under afinity preference settings.

You should not be setting your monitor color profile in Affinity Photo's settings. Affinity Photo's settings are for document profiles.

Your monitor profile would be set only in Windows display settings.

I'm not sure if the first image you included above is the actual calibration image or a screenshot. If you can provide the actual calibration image (or a pointer to it if it's online) that would help.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

image.thumb.jpeg.5c9f05fd59ae219aa2e83bd9dad2578a.jpeg

This is the actual calibration image. I upload it. (It is one of several images that is prescribed by PSSA as calibration images). The others were screen shots. I did set my monitor color profile in my windows display settings.I reset the affinity photo settings with no effect. I still get the yellow pinkish color. Why is the other photo display programs display it correctly?

Thanks.

I'm a bit confused because that file doesn't seem to specify a color profile (at least, exiftool doesn't show one), but when Affinity Photo opens it it doesn't tell me that it's assigning a profile. (And yes, I believe I downloaded the actual attachment not the forum-provided thumbnail.)

However, to answer your question:

1 hour ago, Philip Vivier said:

Why is the other photo display programs display it correctly? 

Most applications don't seem to pay any attention to the monitor (display) profile settings. Affinity Photo does, as it is a color-managed application. But that means you need to get the settings right in Windows for Affinity to work properly. Once you've done that, all the other apps should continue to work, as they don't pay any attention to that profile setting.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Solved!!

I did change my color profile on my display previously. What I did not do was doing a windows calibration on the profile. I did not change any settings, just go through all the calibration steps and tick the "use windows calibration" tick box. Now it is working. I found the solution in the following web site:

https://www.notebookcheck.net/How-to-correctly-install-and-assign-monitor-color-profiles-in-Windows-10.267798.0.html

Regards.

Your monitor profile has nothing to do with your document/image profile.

The monitor profile is there to compensate colour deviations of your personal, individual monitor from standard. When you calibrate your monitor, the calibration values will be integrated into your monitor profile.

The document/image profile should be for example sRGB. (Your monitor profile only „corrects" these colours to be displayed on your screen as they should be displayed.)