You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Can I turn this into a brush?

Hello Affinity community,

I am brand new to both Photo and Designer. I have an effect I will need to apply to several photos in the near future. It seems as if this should probably be achievable via a custom brush, but I'm having trouble figuring out the best way to configure the initial set up. 

Note the right side panel that has the stars/bolts/arrows surrounding the female subject. I am trying to turn those elements into a scatter brush so when I need to apply them to a photo I can just wipe the mouse across the image a couple times and have all the elements present.

I've been playing with the brush settings in a custom image brush, but I can't get that scattered look which means I'm probably configuring the brush incorrectly in the first place.

I do have the individual shapes in vector form, and I'll need them to be the blue/green/yellow colors seen below.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

clientSample.jpg

Welcome to the Serif Affinity Forums, @jaybray. :)

To get ‘that scattered look’, set the scatter and rotation dynamics to allow some variation from the basic spacing and rotation settings.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Thanks Alfred!

I thought that would do the trick as well, but I'm not getting the expected results. I'm attaching the PNG file I used to create my brush. I think this needs to be set up differently. Using this to create the initial brush doesn't get me to that scattered look no matter how far  I push the scatter/rotation settings.

starBrush-02.png

What type of brush are you choosing in Affinity Photo or designer are you in Pixel Persona in designer?

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

No image brush is probably the best option for colour retention, I would export each shape as its own png file and add each one as a texture to the main brush. I'm not totally up on brush creation but I'll have a go at creating a brush for you to play with the settings

Scatter brushes.afbrushes

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

You could try an experiment with scattering using an Intensity Brush

1. Create the shapes separately as PNG (transparent)+ in uniform Square

2. Create new Intensity Brush and add your nozzle shapes

3. Brush General: set large size; ACC 100%;HD;100%;Spacing100%(to start with adjust for effect);Flow (100% in this instance)ignore shape and rotation

4. Dynamics(Here is the fun bit); No accumulation(it blurs) I believe you want solid;Size Jitter(set low and random);Rotation (50% random);Scatter X + scatter Y (200% or +- for effect)

This will give you a single changeable colour but allow you to stamp single elements

If you want a colour change in the same brush set the value of HUE to around 10% (others can be adjusted for effect)

I did a quick test using some very basic shapes:as attached

shapeScatterTest.afbrushes

Affinity Version 1 (10.6) Affinity Version 2.4.2 All (Designer | Photo | Publisher)   Beta; 2.5 2.2402
OS:Windows 10 Pro 22H2 OS Build 19045.4046+ Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.19053.1000.0
Rig:AMD FX 8350 and AMD Radeon (R9 380 Series) Settings Version 21.04.01 
Radeon Settings Version 2020
20.1.03) + Wacom Intuous 4M with driver 6.3.41-1

Thanks @StuartRc

I figured out a similar solution. I know you know how this works, but I'll type it out in case it benefits others.

• I converted each symbol to an individual PNG.
  • Then I stuck with the standard image brush and created it using the first symbol.
  • From there I double clicked on the new brush to open the Brush Editing panel.
  • I went to the Texture tab and added all remaining shapes in the Brush Nozzle area.
  • Then it was just a matter of experimenting in the Dynamics panel till I got to the scattered look I need.

Thanks for the help everyone! The rest of my client project will be a breeze now.

9 minutes ago, jaybray said:

Thanks @StuartRc

I figured out a similar solution. I know you know how this works, but I'll type it out in case it benefits others.

• I converted each symbol to an individual PNG.
  • Then I stuck with the standard image brush and created it using the first symbol.
  • From there I double clicked on the new brush to open the Brush Editing panel.
  • I went to the Texture tab and added all remaining shapes in the Brush Nozzle area.
  • Then it was just a matter of experimenting in the Dynamics panel till I got to the scattered look I need.

Thanks for the help everyone! The rest of my client project will be a breeze now.

Yep! that also works very well....:)

Affinity Version 1 (10.6) Affinity Version 2.4.2 All (Designer | Photo | Publisher)   Beta; 2.5 2.2402
OS:Windows 10 Pro 22H2 OS Build 19045.4046+ Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.19053.1000.0
Rig:AMD FX 8350 and AMD Radeon (R9 380 Series) Settings Version 21.04.01 
Radeon Settings Version 2020
20.1.03) + Wacom Intuous 4M with driver 6.3.41-1