You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hello, guys!

Affinity's gotten me under it's spell. I've been using Affinity Photo/Design a lot in my 10-days trial to see if I can do everything I used to on Photoshop with ease. I'm loving it. Most things have even an easier workaround. So, masking is one of the cool different approaches I've encountered, and it's pretty simple to get along with. However, I couldn't—by any means—make the following mask/compositing technique work.

Am I missing something or just trying to explore beyond AP actual limits? Can anyone help me?

Following are step-by-step of how I do it on PS and, then, how it didn't work on AP.

Post-image: I forgot to write on the 3rd image, but, while inside the mask, I pasted it. :)

PS_001.png

PS_002.png

PS_003.png

PS_004.png

AP_001.png

AP_002.png

AP_003.png

Your post intrigued me, so I went off and got a car from some free stock image place, and duplicated your effect.  I didn't have a shadow for the car, so I made my own.  I didn't use Overlay, I just put the car layer on top of my homemade shadow.  More shadow tweaking is needed.

TK Car with shadow     ford-63930_1280.jpg

Hey, Tkarl!

So, this technique is meant to preserve an original and detailed shadow to composite it into another BG.

There's no need to do it if you're just creating the shadows. You can simply create it and put underneath the car layer, as you did.

That first project is not with me at the moment, so I redid it to show you what I mean. This is just one case.

This is the original image, and I wanted to keep the shadows with all the nuances.

Resultado de imagem para car render

This is the compositing result. I used the gradient to make things fast, but a better compositing would be putting it on a road.

Car.thumb.png.f7a7074e849c80183edeeb7c4d68fec3.png

I'm also uploading the Affinity file, if you want to take a better look.

Car.afphoto