psocretes

Fonts change size for no reason in same text box.

I am having issues with the font changing size in the same text box. I have tried with other fonts and it's the same problem. Currently, I'm using Bodoni 72 Oldstyle. I'm designing an old style watch face. The computer isn't playing up and everything else is behaving properly. No matter what I do I can't get the last Nº, 8 (for the year) in this case, to be the same size as the others in the same text box. I have another text box for the day and month and I have copy and pasted that and tried to change it for the year but no, it's the same. I thought that perhaps I had somehow formatted the text box but apparently not. In the uploaded file I have the third text box which I don't need and that too is showing the same problem. Weird. Thank you in advance. Nige. 

oval classic clock face..afdesign

Hey Nige,

Bodoni Oldstyle has a taller number 8 and some other numbers will sit below the baseline such as number 7. This is also true of other fonts such as Big Caslon. The only thing you can really do is highlight the number 8 separately and make it a smaller size than the rest. 

A 'quirk' of the font I guess :D Like I said you can work around it by highlighting the individual number and reduce its size but this might prove to be a pain. 

17 minutes ago, Chris B said:

Bodoni Oldstyle has a taller number 8 and some other numbers will sit below the baseline such as number 7.

Those numerals are — wait for it! — ‘oldstyle’ figures. You need to choose a font which includes ‘lining’ figures; many fonts offer a choice between the two, via OpenType. (A third variant, ‘tabular’ figures, may be of interest here, since they’re designed to line up horizontally to yield tidy columns when used in tables.)

Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer 1.6.4.104 • Affinity Photo 1.6.4.104 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.6.8.77 • Affinity Designer for iPad 1.6.1.40 • iOS 11.4.1 (iPad Air 2)