Jump to content
kkiamhere

Why Affinity Designer & Photo is showing different colour hue?

Recommended Posts

Hi,

I'm facing an issue with Affinity Designer and Photo. Both of them showing a slightly blue hue to the images. Can someone help?. Just noticed today, never faced anything as such before. Thanks in advance, Krishnakumar

Screen Shot 2018-08-10 at 3.51.55 PM.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The example image you posted has no colour profile.

Preview will assume sRGB when opening an RGB image that has no profile

An Affinity app will assign the profile that's specified as its default for the image's colour mode when opening an image that has no profile.

Default profiles are specified in the Colours section of the app preferences. If you set the RGB default to sRGB then the app should assign sRGB when opening un-profiled RGB images in the future, and the display should then be the same as Preview.

If your RGB default already is sRGB, then let us know and we'll investigate further.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Your Afffinity document has Display profile (see text at top of your latest screenshot of Affinity), so it would seem that the image file you are opening has Display profile (which is the display profile of the Mac on which Affinity is running) and that makes sense when the image being opened in Affinity is a screenshot that was grabbed with shift-cmd-4.

The similar image file you attached earlier (and I mean the full-sized one, not the forum preview) has had the profile removed, though, which is the reason for my previous post.

Anyway, Affinity should be correctly displaying the document that has Display profile, but there appears to be a colour management problem that's also evident in the colour wheel in your latest screenshot of Affinity.

What display profile is your Mac system using, and does ColorSync Utility verify it as OK?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Even after changing the profile to sRBG. Things are not getting as expected. Sharing 2 screenshots. One from Affinity and one from Sketch. But Sketch is rending it correctly.

Thanks,

KK

Screen Shot 2018-08-10 at 5.25.11 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-08-10 at 5.25.53 PM.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, kkiamhere said:

Even after changing the profile to sRBG. Things are not getting as expected.

Changing the system's display profile to sRGB when the display hardware requires a different profile would be the wrong thing to do anyway. It would make everything displayed by your computer be different to what it should be.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, GabrielM said:

Can you please zip and attach that file on the dropbox link provided or attach it here? 

Sharing the difference in affinity softwares. Also attaching the images in the dropbox to check.   

1147566005_ScreenShot2018-08-10at5_38_01PM.thumb.png.764af56e2fc7d415cbe448529cbec265.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The difference in raw file display by different apps is a different issue to the colour management problem with which this thread was started.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am discussing a colour shift issue on a jpeg/png file. I have even updated the OS and reinstalled the software. Sadly, nothing is working. Also, First time in my career of 15 years facing an issue of this kind. I'm kind of helpless here. Let me know you have some workaround to fix this. Or else, we can close this thread here :)

 

KK

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, kkiamhere said:

I am discussing a colour shift issue on a jpeg/png file

The screenshot you attached earlier is clearly from a RAW file - Nikon D3100. Also, the tiff you have uploaded to Dropbox has got no colour profile assigned to it and it does not open correctly. You would need to zip the file you originally had issues with (the one with the potatoes on the plate - with no alterations made to it) and upload it on our dropbox. Otherwise, I'm afraid we cannot help. Most likely it's a colour profile issue as in your second screenshot you're using Display P3 as the profile. Have you got a monitor that can fully display P3? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, GabrielM said:

The screenshot you attached earlier is clearly from a RAW file - Nikon D3100. Also, the tiff you have uploaded to Dropbox has got no colour profile assigned to it and it does not open correctly. You would need to zip the file you originally had issues with (the one with the potatoes on the plate - with no alterations made to it) and upload it on our dropbox. Otherwise, I'm afraid we cannot help. Most likely it's a colour profile issue as in your second screenshot you're using Display P3 as the profile. Have you got a monitor that can fully display P3? 

It is not a raw file. It is a screenshot. Even though I have uploaded that to drive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, GabrielM said:

in your second screenshot you're using Display P3 as the profile. Have you got a monitor that can fully display P3? 

No, the second screenshot does not suggest "Display P3" profile. When Affinity says the document profile is "Display" (without " P3") it means the current display profile of the computer, regardless of that profile's actual name. So, unless a computer has been wrongly set up to use "Display P3" (which is a document/image profile, not a hardware profile) for its display, "Display" is not "Display P3".

The system display profile would normally be an odd choice for a document profile, but it is the correct profile for a screenshot to have.

Krishnakumar normally uses "Color LCD" for the system display profile. He tried following the bad advice to set it to sRGB, but that did not solve the problem, of course.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/10/2018 at 9:14 PM, owenr said:

No, the second screenshot does not suggest "Display P3" profile. When Affinity says the document profile is "Display" (without " P3") it means the current display profile of the computer, regardless of that profile's actual name. So, unless a computer has been wrongly set up to use "Display P3" (which is a document/image profile, not a hardware profile) for its display, "Display" is not "Display P3".

The system display profile would normally be an odd choice for a document profile, but it is the correct profile for a screenshot to have.

Krishnakumar normally uses "Color LCD" for the system display profile. He tried following the bad advice to set it to sRGB, but that did not solve the problem, of course.

 

Can please advise a solution???

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We could not replicate this issue. Any chance you could do a screen recording with all the steps you take, including the method you use to take the screenshot? We could try to replicate it if we've got your step-by-step video. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, GabrielM said:

We could not replicate this issue. Any chance you could do a screen recording with all the steps you take, including the method you use to take the screenshot? We could try to replicate it if we've got your step-by-step video. 

Hi Gabriel,

I have uploaded a video of the process to the dropbox link which you shared earlier. Please check it.

 

Regards,

Krishnakumar

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, kkiamhere said:

Hi Gabriel,

I have uploaded a video of the process to the dropbox link which you shared earlier. Please check it.

 

Regards,

Krishnakumar

Any update?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×