You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

ARABIC FONT/ Language/ LEBANON &...

2 hours ago, Lennowitsch said:

This can't be more than a day work for a dev

If you think it’s so easy, why don’t you offer your services (for a fixed fee, of course, with no payment due until you deliver a working solution)?

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

• 2 months later...
On 8/11/2018 at 6:59 PM, αℓƒяє∂ said:

If you think it’s so easy, why don’t you offer your services (for a fixed fee, of course, with no payment due until you deliver a working solution)?

Are you defending their lack of support for RTL and complex script there? LOL

I wouldn't say it's a day's work for sure, but I find it hard to imagine that it's such a HUGE undertaking so much so that they are don't even have an ETA for it!

On 10/19/2018 at 1:22 AM, Musaed said:

Are you defending their lack of support for RTL and complex script there? LOL

I wouldn't say it's a day's work for sure, but I find it hard to imagine that it's such a HUGE undertaking so much so that they are don't even have an ETA for it!

I also have no real idea how difficult it is. But I have been witness to it being added in other software over the years.

What I do know is that as of this latest update in QXP, the initial support for complex (not RTL but rather Indic) scripts has begun. Even at this stage, it was non-trivial to get this far along. I haven't yet tested how far along it is yet. But there are good number of OpenType Features that have to be included even to support Bengali, much less RTL. 

OpenType Features can cause clashes with other OT features. So adding enough OT features to support Indic scripts without causing other OT feature clashes takes a lot of testing. How hard can it be you say? Consider Affinity Designer. Hands-down one of, if not the, single best OT Feature support application there is. And yet initially APub was broken at its first beta and while they are fixing it, there are OT feature interactions still broken. And Serif is "only" dealing with simple European scripts. And this breaking OT features has happened along in every single piece of software I have used that adds in OT features during various updates and new versions at times.

Adding in a dozen OT features is, again, non-trivial.

4 minutes ago, Arun Sarkar said:

Indian IME and Fonts Developers like Summit (INDICA) start support open type Indic Fonts for more than 10 years ago via their plugins for Indesign & Quark when those DTP software did not support Indic Language properly.

Yes. But now they are headed towards natively supporting Indic languages, which is akin to the challenge Serif will face.

6 minutes ago, Arun Sarkar said:

...And as a Serif user we (Indian) did not get any support in this regard, Indic Language Software companies did not support Serif Application for their ANSI fonts and Serif does not support Indic Open type Fonts. xD :64_zipper_mouth:

Well, I think Serif will get there, and perhaps Indic before RTL (it's "easier").

Being among the large group known as "stupid Americans" that rarely even need Pan-European support, I am very happy for natively including Indic support in Q and will be happy once again when RTL is added.

Why? For a few reasons. The simplest reason is because I interact with some of the Quark engineers that live and work where? India. Can you imagine working for a company that makes software that doesn't support your own native tongue? It would be kinda surreal. But my main reason to be happy about it is because of the shear numbers of Indic language users. From a marketing perspective, that's a whole lotta potential customers. The challenge for the marketing will be, of course, penetrating that market.

And I am pretty sure Serif understands that reason (the shear numbers involved). And it would be nice for Serif to mention a target version for beginning support for non-European languages.