michaelsboost

After War Selfie: Photo Manipulation

This was my first photo manipulation in Affinity Photo.

smile_or_mask.thumb.png.278ab5393959ff8dfe6c7e1c275b5bb8.png

This art has a simple meaning, "Circumstances don't define you, you define your circumstances.".

Stocks:
Woman: pixabay.com/en/selfie-girl-wom…
Background: pixabay.com/en/buildings-disas…

selfie.afphoto

"Procrastination is the enemy of productivity!" ~Michael

Nice work

If you change the image on her phone to what she is looking at it will add to the realism that she is actually there, rather than leaving it as a selfie picture

Due to the ongoing Brexit negotiations, punctuation, spelling and grammar will be used sparingly until further notice.

1 hour ago, carl123 said:

Nice work

If you change the image on her phone to what she is looking at it will add to the realism that she is actually there, rather than leaving it as a selfie picture

Then the title would have to change and the meaning into something else.

What I'd like to see is the background colour desaturated further (rear buildings, sky and grass) and made more gritty. It would look more post war like then (or at least an illusion of). 

Nice concept!

https://www.peterdinnan.com/     photography with strong elements of mood, abstraction, pareidolia, gestalt and the morphics

What would the image look like with the girl moved to the right slightly?

The only reason I ask is that when I first looked at the picture I thought there was a masking problem with the stairs on the left hand side of the image 'looking' like they're in front of the girl. From zooming in I can see that they're actually just sitting in to the outline of the girl perfectly but did detract my eye for quite a while taking me away from the main subject fucus area. 

A great start though. 

Best wishes,

Mark

I want this to work but, I don't know it just doesn't do it for me. I think there has to be a juxtaposition so like others have said make the background gritty and dark.

I would have the girl/boy dressed smart colourful and smiling while taking a selfie, the contrast in situation would show a desensitisation to the brutality of war and the inevitable destruction of life and the structure of civilisation but in parody the selfie taker is totally oblivious to the effect of war and only see's it as a photo opportunity. 

iMac 27" Late 2015 Fully Loaded, iMac 27" Mid 2011 both running High Sierra 10.13.6 - Dell Inspiron 17 5767 i7 Laptop Windows 10 - Illustrator CC, Affinity Designer/Photo, Inkscape, Blender, Sketchup, Pepakura Designer, MTC, Pixelmator & Pixelmator Pro + more... XP-Pen Deco 03 Pen Tablet, 5 pages on LaunchPad - iPad2 iOS 9.35 B|  Instagram & Flickr - Affinity Designer (ADe) Tutorials - Affinity Photo (APh) Tutorials - Public Domain Images