You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi Team,

I noticed the following issues while opening TIFF files. I could only get the top Layer but  I cannot get all the layers. I noticed this issue for the files which were created from Photoshop. I switch from photoshop to Affinity Photo and I wanted to rework these files, but I could not open them now.

Below some screenshots.

If I opened them in Photoshop elements I see all the layers. I used to have full version of photoshop I no longer have the same. They used to open in Photoshop just fine.

When I was switching to Affinity from Photoshop, I thought that I can use all the existing files. This is a big issue for me as I cannot use existing processed files.

Is this a know issue ? 

Thanks

Krishna

Affinity Issue01.tiff

Affinity Issue02.tiff

Upload the original Tiff file and I'll see if I can find an export that will retain the layers, PDF might do this.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

That's strange. A lot of my old logo's files done in Photoshop, mainly with pathes since those worked fine in QXP, and saved as .tif open with layers in AD or AP without needing to convert them to PSD (it's the same if converted). But they were created with PS from version 5 to CS5. Perhaps those are older formats, the one documented and readable by other apps?

The information in this post about "layered TIFF" files may be relevant to this discussion.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

1 hour ago, Krishna Prasad Kotti said:

The issue seems to happen to only with some of the files which were created from Photoshop. Some files are opening file and others are having this issue. Which prompts me to think that we are hitting some sort of bug.

Or, some of the Photoshop files work because they were saved in a way that Affinity can understand (that is, not using undocumented, proprietary PS information) and some fail because they include PS-specific information.

Perhaps you could share examples of ones that work for you?

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

Every File is saved the same way.  The workflow which I used when I had Photoshop was as follows:-

Edit Image in Lightroom, Open the image in Photoshop save them as .tif File.

Both Files were done the same. This file I am able to open in Affinity Photo other I am having issues with the same.

Thanks

Krishna

Ashton_Gardens-_KRI1388_-20170415.tif

3 hours ago, Krishna Prasad Kotti said:

Edit Image in Lightroom, Open the image in Photoshop save them as .tif File

Thanks. I'm still a bit confused. If you simply opened them in PS and saved as .tif where did the layers come from?

-- Walt
PC:

Hi Walt,

What I meant was previously I used work the image in Lightroom and then in Photoshop. I created layers and adjustments in Photoshop.

Now I am looking to replace the same with Capture1 for RAW processing and then Affinity photo for Layers and other Adjustments.

I thought that old images which were processed in photoshop can be reopened and reworked in Affinity Photo. For some I am able to open them for others I am not.

2 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

Thanks. I'm still a bit confused. If you simply opened them in PS and saved as .tif where did the layers come from? 

Long ago, PS'. tif was better than PSD files.  (smaller file size). TIFF retained layers, effects, pathes, alpha channels, etc.  That's why we switch to this format instead of EPS that was only usefull for vector, at a time when people used to save pictures in EPS format too!

At the time, I didn't know it was not a regular TIFF format and was hoping to be able to use/open those files (years) later if we stopped using PS.

I suppose Adobe's TIFF and PSD 've got a lot in common. That's why some TIFF and PSD files are layered and retained PS effects, and can be opened in AP/AD.

.I discovered this after converting those TIFF files to PSD and opening a TIFF (instead of one of the new PSD ones) in AP or AD :)

Could these legacy tiffs be uploaded to one of the online file-conversion sites? Would they read it and convert to (say) psd?

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

3 minutes ago, Krishna Prasad Kotti said:

Are there any software to convert them in PSD other than photoshop ?

Googling 'Convert tiff to psd' gives a number of such online services.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

I opened the image in photoshop elements and then Flattened the image. Still I have the same issue.

So I think it is not a layers issue. Interestingly when saved as psd it shows the file properly.

File size for both files are exactly same.

I am thinking this is a bug with Affinity Photo software itself.

Test2.tif

Test2.psd

Hello Krishna ,
I do not know if it solves your problem, maybe a possibility.
I opened your TIF file in Photoshop and stored without alpha channels so I was able to open the TIF file with all layers in Affinity Photo.

Cheers

Alhpa.PNG

Test without alpha channels-.PNG

Test-1_without_alpha_channels.tif

Affinity Photo 2.4:         Affinity Photo 1.10.6: 

Affinity Designer 2.4:    Affinity Designer 1.10.6:

Affinity Publisher 2.4:   Affinity Publisher 1.10.6:    

Windows 11 Pro  (Version 23H2 Build (22631.3296)

Hello Krishna,

I think it is not a bug in Affinity Photo, the alpha channels of Photoshop especially for TIF files can not read some photo programs. Maybe one of the developers can say something.
There is still the possibility of a free trial of Photoshop, as far as I can remember.

Cheers

Affinity Photo 2.4:         Affinity Photo 1.10.6: 

Affinity Designer 2.4:    Affinity Designer 1.10.6:

Affinity Publisher 2.4:   Affinity Publisher 1.10.6:    

Windows 11 Pro  (Version 23H2 Build (22631.3296)