You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity for Linux

Hi,

I'm a graphic designer, using Affinity Designer on MacOS, however I'm planning to switch to Linux. Are you planning to offer a Linux version of your apps?

With no Adobe presence on that sector it might be a good opportunity for Affinity and I guess it's not that complicated as MacOS is based on Unix? 

Best regards,

Lukas

3 minutes ago, Eskin said:

why you aren't planing to do a linux version? 

Please follow the link in @haakoo‘s post.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

Back when I used Linux I would use Inkscape as my main vector editor. I still use it sometimes but it's just not as smooth and easy on a Mac (needs more mac optimization) hence why I went away from it. 

For image editing on Linux GIMP is wonderful but the downside is it doesn't support non-destructive editing. The only free image editor that has that capability that I've found is Photopea

"Procrastination is the enemy of productivity!" ~Michael

On 09/08/2018 at 07:20, alienpriv said:

Oi,

Sou designer gráfico, usando o Affinity Designer no MacOS, mas estou planejando mudar para o Linux. Você está planejando oferecer uma versão do Linux dos seus aplicativos?

Sem a presença da Adobe nesse setor, pode ser uma boa oportunidade para o Affinity e eu acho que não é tão complicado quanto o MacOS é baseado no Unix? 

Cumprimentos,

Lukas

Também estou com esse mesmo questionamento! não comprei agora o Affity porque não tem para Linux, quando tiver eu comprarei.

Some time ago I saw a post here on the forum asking about a linux port of Photo, someone responded as being one of the devs, I don't know if he was one of them or not. He said that it would cost 500k to port it, and it wouldn't compensate because of the small linux user base, my argument is that: Although the Linux user base is smaller than Windows, Affinity Photo would become the primary option to linux users all over the world, and potentially impulse others to migrate do linux knowing that they wouldn't need to rely on Wine to use photoshop, because of a better option being Affinity Photo and Design. To emphasize this point, Photoshop reigns supreme on Windows and Affinity is currently the underdog, on Linux this wouldn't be the case, Gimp exist, yes, but it not at the same level as professional applications on windows and mac.

I think I expressed myself correctly and transmited my argument in a constructive way.

BIG PS: If the counter-argument its about what distro to use and how to deliver the software: You could stick with Ubuntu and use Snappy or Flatpak wrappers to distribute the program. In short, those two methods are like how apps are wrapped on android, not exactly like, but comparable, it wrap the software and all his necessary libraries and deliver it to the user packed up, they can even sandbox the software to run on a higher level of security, both are really similar. Snaps it's the model created by Ubuntu's parent company Canonical, and Flatpaks is the model patrocinated by RedHat. Both work on Ubuntu, but snaps is out of the box, and Flatpak needs to be installed by the user in this distro, so I think snaps are more attractive to my argument.

• Staff

@Diego Duarte

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums.

2 minutes ago, Diego Duarte said:

I think I expressed myself correctly and transmited my argument in a constructive way.

I think you did too, thanks. There are (currently) 18 pages of similar posts and counter arguments here.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

• Staff
17 hours ago, ozeiasqueiroz said:

Também estou com esse mesmo questionamento! não comprei agora o Affity porque não tem para Linux, quando tiver eu comprarei.

@ozeiasqueiroz

Bem-vindo aos fóruns do Affinity.
Não há planos para adicionar uma versão do Linux, desculpe.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

58 minutes ago, Patrick Connor said:

There are (currently) 18 pages of similar posts and counter arguments here

Among them it was mentioned early on that 500K was the estimated minimum cost to develop (not port) a native Linux version, & that ongoing advertising & particularly support costs could increase that cost substantially.

BTW, you can tell if a post is from a staff member because they are the only ones that display a Staff badge above the points numbers, like in the posts from @Patrick Connor in this topic.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

23 minutes ago, R C-R said:

BTW, you can tell if a post is from a staff member because they are the only ones that display a Staff badge above the points numbers, like in the posts from @Patrick Connor in this topic.

Just a note: the badges are not visible on the post if one reads the forum on a phone or a similarly small screen. The reader would have to click on the poster's name to see that detail.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

14 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Just a note: the badges are not visible on the post if one reads the forum on a phone or a similarly small screen. The reader would have to click on the poster's name to see that detail.

Thanks for letting me know. Considering how tiny my iPhone screen is, I would never consider accessing these forums using it unless I had no other way to do that.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

14 minutes ago, R C-R said:

Thanks for letting me know. Considering how tiny my iPhone screen is, I would never consider accessing these forums using it unless I had no other way to do that.

In landscape mode on your iPad, you can see the effect in Safari by long-pressing on the ‘two windows’ icon in the top right-hand corner and choosing ‘Open Split View’.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)