You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I am new to affinity designer and am struggling to learn it. The primary use will be to develop novel optical illusions. Initially I am simply trying to draw well-known illusions, such as shown in the attached image (Neon Color Spreading Illusion: The illusion is that the white portion within the circle has cyan coloring. It does not. It is pure white, identical to the area outside the circle. Only the black lines have semi-transparent cyan coloring)

I have created a layer with the black line background and a second layer with the cyan colored circle, but can’t figure out how to complete the image. I need to set the opacity of the cyan circle in the outer layer so that the black lines within the circle have a cyan tinge and then completely remove the portion of the cyan circle covering the white background

Thank you for the help! 

post-7925-0-07832000-1425793514_thumb.gif

I could easily reproduce this in Affinity Photo., all I did was make a circular selection on the lines, make a copy and paste it in a new layer. After that I selected adjustment (on the right in picture) and chose recolor.

I hope this can help. In designer I'm not really sure how to do it quickly.... I'll follow this topic, and learn with you..

Schermafbeelding%202015-03-08%20om%2013.

Well done Hanzz! This is how I would do it in AD:

1. I would draw vector brush strokes for the black background, thenMain Menu > Expand Stroke. Then Select All (Cmd + A) and Group (Cmd + G).

2. Create a cyan circle.

3. Duplicate the Expanded Vector Strokes group from step 1#

4. Drag it inside the cyan circle Shape from step #2

Enclosed is my AD file for your benefit and a screen grab.

post-1105-0-27628600-1425845098_thumb.jpg

optical effect.afdesign

I am new to affinity designer and am struggling to learn it. The primary use will be to develop novel optical illusions. Initially I am simply trying to draw well-known illusions, such as shown in the attached image (Neon Color Spreading Illusion: The illusion is that the white portion within the circle has cyan coloring. It does not. It is pure white, identical to the area outside the circle. Only the black lines have semi-transparent cyan coloring)

I have created a layer with the black line background and a second layer with the cyan colored circle, but can’t figure out how to complete the image. I need to set the opacity of the cyan circle in the outer layer so that the black lines within the circle have a cyan tinge and then completely remove the portion of the cyan circle covering the white background

Thank you for the help! 

I could easily reproduce this in Affinity Photo., all I did was make a circular selection on the lines, make a copy and paste it in a new layer. After that I selected adjustment (on the right in picture) and chose recolor.

I hope this can help. In designer I'm not really sure how to do it quickly.... I'll follow this topic, and learn with you..

2021 16” Macbook Pro w/ M1 Max 10c cpu /24c gpu, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Sonoma 14.4.1

2018 11" iPad Pro w/ A12X cpu/gpu, 256 GB, iPadOS 17