You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Pro changes to workflow to bring the app in line with industry standards

...I wonder if you guys actually use it or you secretly use Illustrator.

In your list of "pro" suggestions, you keep mentioning PS (assumedly Adobe Photoshop). This sub-forum is Suggestions for Affinity Designer on Desktop. Why with your charge that "you guys...secretly use Illustrator" would you expect Affinity Designer to act just like Adobe Photoshop?

I'll likely come back with more in the future.

When making suggestions in a software-specific suggestion forum, it is far better practice to create separate threads for your suggestions, if you really want them to be "heard." That way, the merits of your individual suggestions can be found and discussed. When everyone just posts their personal "Santa list" there is no way to peruse the suggestions in the topic list, and it causes disjointed repetition of the same suggestion scattered and buried somewhere in multiple such lists.

Few users are going "memorize" every other user's wish list in order to know where a particular suggestion is being discussed.

As for "pro": I can create a list as long as yours specifying "sub-pro" behaviors and missing features in Adobe Illustrator. Adobe Illustrator is no more inherently "professional" than any of its mainstream competitors. Professional quality work is done in all of them (including Affinity Designer) and is more a matter of the user than the software. A professional can do professional quality work with a crayon.

JET

Well, it looks like there is nothing you like about Designer. So, what are you doing here? If you want Affinity software to be exactly like Adobe software… Stay with Adobe...and keep on  paying.

-- Window 11 - 32 gb - Intel I7 - 8700 - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060
-- iPad Pro 2020 - 12,9 - 256 gb - Apple Pencil 2 -- iPad 9th gen 256 gb - Apple Pencil 1
-- Macbook Air 15"

1 hour ago, AlainP said:

Well, it looks like there is nothing you like about Designer. So, what are you doing here? If you want Affinity software to be exactly like Adobe software… Stay with Adobe...and keep on  paying.

I like a lot about it, but it needs a ton of improvement to be a clear competitor for Adobe. They branded it as being a pro competitor, but it's got too many lapses in workflow for someone used to Illustrator and PS to easily move.

2 minutes ago, AXK said:

It was better I don't make 20 posts for one list. The devs can do what they want about it, though I don't expect anything.

If you want the devs to consider your suggestions, all they need is a list. If, however, you want to generate some discussion around your suggestions, then — as @JET_Affinity has pointed out — a single thread is impractical for discussion of multiple suggestions. And if you don’t want to generate any discussion, why bother to post your suggestions to a forum in the first place?

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

6 minutes ago, AXK said:

I don't have time to argue on forums

No one has suggested that you need to spend any time arguing. Simply present your suggestions, one per thread, backed up (if you can be bothered) by the rationale behind each suggestion, and leave it to the rest of us to argue their merits/demerits.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

This is a public forum. The reason for that is clearly to allow other users (both those less experienced and more experienced than the contributor) to comment on and discuss the merits of the suggestion.

As with most such lists, some of your suggestions are okay. Others; not so much. But when I have something of value to contribute to a feature discussion, I'm not going to go looking for AXK's (or anyone else's) thread in search of the topic of interest. I'm just going to run down the list of topics organized by subject, not by some screen name's self-claimed expertise.

This fallacy is one pandemic among newcomers to software feature discussion forums. Everyone's posting his or her personal "brilliant list" of features effectively nullifies the forum's hierarchal organization, without which it just becomes unnavigable mass confusion.

If it were just about each user sharing his or her omniscience with the developers, it wouldn't be a public forum, and the developers wouldn't be able to get anything done for having to read the pontification of 10,000 users often saying the same thing, instead of 100 constructive (and often self-correcting and self-improving) discussions on specific features.

Suppose a developer is presently working on a particular feature. Do you want your wisdom to be included in his considerations, or do you expect him to go searching for your celebrity name to see if you had something of great insight to say on the feature?

JET

9 minutes ago, haakoo said:

To even add to this nondiscussion is;

You only have three or four points that may be real tools to add to a future version.
The rest are just conveniences,be creative to do things a bit different instead of making it an adobe clone

You have nothing to add, move along.