Tobi755

Export to PDF different sizes from Artboards

Hi,

I have a file with 72 pages (done with the artboard). The export to PDF looks fine, but when I want to send the PDF to a print shop, they refuse it as the pages have different sizes/formats.

All artboards are copied from one "master" but some of the pages (20, page 2 to 21 from 72) create the error. I already tried to copy a "correct" page and delete the faulty page, but the result is the same. Also Adobe Preflight shows the same error message.

Does anyone have an idea, what I could try to get this fixed?

Thanks

Tobi

Hi Tobi755,

Are all the artboards the same size?

If possible could you provide the file in question?

Thanks

Callum

I don't have personal experience with this, but from what I've read in the forums it's important that your artboards be located on integer x/y coordinates with respect to the pixel grid. If you open that .afdesign file, then switch the document units to px (Document setup...), and then look in the Transform panel, you'll see that many of your artboards have non-integer coordinates. For example, Seite 70 has a Y value of 89291.3 px, Seite 69 has an X value of 2362.2 px, etc.

When artboards are not aligned on the pixel grid the Export process will often add an extra pixel to the height or width.

I suspect that's what is happening with this document, and it would give you PDF pages that are a pixel different in size.

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1809, 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00Gz, GeForce GTX 970
Affinity Photo 1.6.5.123 and 1.7.0.293 Beta       / Affinity Designer 1.6..5.123 and 1.7.0.293 Beta    / Affinity Publisher 1.7.0.293 Beta

Thanks Walt,

I also found this explanation somewhere and realigned all artboards to full millimeters. Did not think about pixels. So I realigned all artboards now to full pixels and voila: it works

Thank you very much

You're welcome.

I find myself wondering, though, how one is supposed to ensure that one's artboards are aligned to whole pixels if one has set the document units to be one of the non-px choices. I'll have to experiment with that, unless someone else can provide the answer :)

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1809, 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00Gz, GeForce GTX 970
Affinity Photo 1.6.5.123 and 1.7.0.293 Beta       / Affinity Designer 1.6..5.123 and 1.7.0.293 Beta    / Affinity Publisher 1.7.0.293 Beta

1 hour ago, walt.farrell said:

I find myself wondering, though, how one is supposed to ensure that one's artboards are aligned to whole pixels if one has set the document units to be one of the non-px choices.

I think using "Force Pixel Alignment" should do it, if necessary by selecting each artboard with the Move Tool & moving it slightly in any direction.

Affinity Photo 1.6.7 & Affinity Designer 1.6.1; macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 iMac (27-inch, Late 2012); 2.9GHz i5 CPU; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M; 8GB RAM
Affinity Photo 1.6.11.85 & Affinity Designer 1.6..4.45 for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iOS 12.1.1

10 minutes ago, R C-R said:

I think using "Force Pixel Alignment" should do it, if necessary by selecting each artboard with the Move Tool & moving it slightly in any direction.

Thanks. Yes, that would do it, and I was forgetting about that option.

-- Walt