You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Stripped IPTC and Metadata is a Deal Breaker

I am a serious amateur photographer who concentrates on travel and family photography.

I am using Affinity Photo on a trial basis and I am highly impressed with AP's outstanding editing capabilities, ease of use and superb learning videos and tutorials.

However, I have just discovered that almost all of my metadata is LOST after exporting files in JPG format! On studying this Forum, I note that any posters have expressed the same concern.

This is a deal breaker for me and it will be a great disappointment not to proceed with AP purchase, unless anyone can advise:-

1. is there a workaround for this most basic requirement? and

2. is AP planning to correct this problem in the very near future?

I am sure there must be hundreds of potential purchasers who are turning away from AP for the same reason.

• 3 weeks later...

I am evaluating Affinity as an alternative to PS, but the lack of ability to quickly store byline, copyright and caption is a bit of a show stopper for me.

Yes, there is third party software out there that will do this but why should I complicate my workflow?

It isn't as if writing metadat is that complex.

• 1 month later...

Imatch is Windows only, bummer. Us Mac users get no respect.:D

Any other metadata solutions that might integrate seamlessly?

I too am disappointed that AP is not more metadata robust. Such a basic need by serious photographers

Please, Serif, add this important feature to Affinity Photo. 

• 3 weeks later...

I have just discovered that you can’t edit metadata I sell quite a few images online and it’s an absolute must for me. I am using a Mac and an I pad pro and have purchased both affinity photo and designer and trying the beta version of publisher  I really like the software and I want to stop using photoshop but I am going to have to until this metadata problem is sorted. I will try and find a resolution and post if I do

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

XNVIEW is not a bad choice. It's not pretty but works similar to Adobe Bridge. You can also set it up to send files to Affinity. Once you are done and export it, you can input the IPTC data back in XNVIEW. It would be similar a  Bridge->Adobe Camera Raw->Photoshop workflow. It is free for personal use, but ask for licensing money if you are using it for a business.

https://www.xnview.com/en/

• 10 months later...

I just recently decided to start using metadata and tagging the thousands of photos in my collection.  I was impressed that Gimp, Rawtherapee, Xnview, many other freeware and open source programs--along with the big guys like Photoshop, and newcomers like ON1--have added metadata editing capabilities.  

Imagine my surprise to find that my favorite image editor--Affinity--has no ability to edit metadata at all!  And worse, when I add metadata with another program first in my workflow (in my case, in Rawtherapee), then push it to AP, AP strips the metadata I added when I save the file in AP.  Unbelievable!

This is a rather stunning oversight on the part of Affinity.  I mean really, really bad.  Although I have already paid for 1.7 of both products (AP and AD), I'm re-evaluating whether I will be using this software going forward.  I don't have a lot of confidence in a company that could have software that's this far along in its development, and overlooking something that seems so  basic to the industry and any competent image editing app--the ability to tag assets in a very detailed way for finding and sorting.  

• Staff

A lot of work has been done for 1.8 changing the EXIF panel into the Metadata panel, where editable elements are editable and read-only elements are presented. We look forward to your feedback during the forthcoming beta cycle

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

On 12/2/2019 at 9:05 AM, Patrick Connor said:

A lot of work has been done for 1.8 changing the EXIF panel into the Metadata panel, where editable elements are editable and read-only elements are presented. We look forward to your feedback during the forthcoming beta cycle

Yes I see that now in the 1.8 beta.  That is great! 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
21 hours ago, Andy12345 said:

I'm evaluating Affinity Photo right now and I like the software a lot! But unfortunately all my IPTC metadata in the JPEG got removed after saving them. Is there still no way that Affinity Photos keeps IPTC metadata when saving JPEGs?

I have test this ,I fill a new picture with some meta data  and saved as jpg. After that I reopened this saved file and no missing data.  But I'am on windows.

Windows 11 (Home)-build: 23H2- build 22631.2715
-  64 bits. 
11e generatie Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-11700K @ 32,60GHz.
Ram: 80 GB  DDR4 -3200 Mhz-  34" breedbeeld
GpuGeforce 3060 -12GB  OC-studiodriver: 537-58 - XP-Pen star03 -
mastodon.nl /@digitalvisuals - website:  digitalvisuals.nl

Affinity Photo2 - Designer 1.10-  Publisher 1.10 - ArtRage 6 - Lumina Aurora - ArtRage.

23 hours ago, Andy12345 said:

I'm evaluating Affinity Photo right now and I like the software a lot! But unfortunately all my IPTC metadata in the JPEG got removed after saving them. Is there still no way that Affinity Photos keeps IPTC metadata when saving JPEGs?

Please provide more information on your exact workflow, and if possible sample files before/after showing the loss.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 3 weeks later...

Same issue here.

I have a bunch of image including IPTC to batch convert to sRGB.
Just run the native "convert to sRGB" macro batch process and compared before/after with ExifTool: all IPTC are gone. Not good!

(Yes), "embed metadata" is checked under the batch Save as JPEG options.

Running last Affinity Photo on Mac mini M1 with Monterey.

WebSite.pngTwitter.png500px.pngFlickr.png

3 hours ago, Tazintosh said:

I have a bunch of image including IPTC to batch convert to sRGB.

It has worked for me in the past with my images. If you could provide a couple of sample "before" images perhaps we could do some diagnosis.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• Staff

@Tazintosh

we may have an intermittent problem (see posts by @Andy12345)

Can you provide the files? (preferably zipped up or on a cloud drive shared link to exclude the possibility that the forum software may strip source files of their tags too) 

and

can you tell us where they were when this fails (local, local but cloud-backed up folder, network)? Can you try again with the files in a local non backed up folder.

Thanks

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

• 5 months later...

I just hit this snag too.  I have hundreds of JPGs for sale via POD, and all have IPTC metadata:  title, description, keywords.  I just found out that if I open and save a file in AP, that metadata is stripped out.  Now I have to try to think of which files I've already edited with AP, because they've lost their metadata. 

I could live with AP being unable to display or edit my IPTC, but not with that data being silently deleted.   If AP wants to use XMP, that's ok, but if so it  should leave the IPTC alone.

XMP metadata just doesn't work for many of us because too many stock sites and PODs don't read it.  IPTC is accepted everywhere. 

Is this an acknowledged problem that might be fixed in the future?  Is there any workaround at present?