You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

getting my head around Affinity

ianrb

My son drivers this one -- the mug is following in his old man's footsteps.
It was a foggy morning when he passed though a little while ago so we caught up out on the highway.
All done in Affinity -- the 1st  black and white completed. Good affinity training exercise and practice 
Affinity crashed while doing this one :( . Does that happen often?
I use Lr5 for organizing and find it better [not easier] to export instead of only saving as I complete an important part . What/how do you do the saving part?
2nd image is the Oly Em1 raw file 
Questions and any suggestions welcome -- I feel I want to do more (???) 

201807  01984  9.jpg

201807  01984.jpg

1 hour ago, ianrb said:

What more do you want to do? You’ve removed the distracting items from the background and you’ve given it bags of atmosphere. I think it looks great as it is.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

• Staff

Hi ianrb,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
I would fade the trees on the left a little bit more (specially the darker/closer one). Since it's the only element "sticking" out from the ground/the rest of the composition I find it a little distracting (and maybe the bit of ground on the right slightly too - not sure without experimenting and see the result).

16 hours ago, αℓƒяє∂ said:

What more do you want to do? You’ve removed the distracting items from the background and you’ve given it bags of atmosphere. I think it looks great as it is.

Thanks for being so nice :) . I see it as a good enough photo -- what I call a "recording photo" for the family album even though I have spent a fair amount of time with various edits . I threw those edits out and started from scratch with Affinity -- once I remember where tools are hiding I found it the best for this image :) :) 
Don't know --- maybe crashing through fire lol!!

16 hours ago, MEB said:

Hi ianrb,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
I would fade the trees on the left a little bit more (specially the darker/closer one). Since it's the only element "sticking" out from the ground/the rest of the composition I find it a little distracting (and maybe the bit of ground on the right slightly too - not sure without experimenting and see the result).

Thanks for the honesty. Interesting observations and opposite to my thoughts regarding the tree. I saw them as a guide to the fog thickness as we don't get that much thick fog here. I will certain look into the ideas
And I just noticed a whoops!! I added a touch of yellow to the prime mover but missed the bit of spill under the front of the truck 

BTW: He adds another forty foot /13mts trailer when he goes up to Alice Springs in central australia 

That's a beast of a truck Ian.

I personally think the trees draw the eye away from the truck, I go as far as to say lose the right side land as well, if you are going for a stylised image these things don't really add much to the overall effect.

I'd love you to take a very low level shot, like on the floor and a fairly wide angle lense if you have one, you could have the truck bursting through the paper, would look fab

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Thanks again firstdefence, I appreciating your thoughts, and honestly. I used to try to help others but I'm now finding so many cannot accept their photo is not as perfect as they feel .  The term I often used was "emotions can be very blinding" .
It seems one just needs to post lots of cute, cuddly, and pretty photos to be "famous" on facebook --- sadly photography quality is not important 

Cheers

On 8/8/2018 at 6:51 PM, ianrb said:

All images should have a hero (ie key element). The hero is then supported by other visual elements and that collectively determines the makeup of a composition.

The hero though doesn't have to be visual—you're a truckie with presumably many years experience so you'd have an emotional attachment to trucks. Certainly that's the impression I got from what you've written in your original post. 

So, if emotion is the hero then you have the key and with that you should be able to obtain the result you're after.

When the hero has been established (realistically the reason for taking a photo in the first place) then the choice of lens, the shooting angle, height, direction, placement etc, the (type of) light, time of day and so on—that is, the composition—all fall into place  :)    

Some interesting and heavy thoughts there Pedro . Photography today is more of something to keep me busy; or something to do  for me these days. Far different to the work photography I did mostly in film days. Portraits/weddings/aerial/mini lab/picture framing the main lines out west and north west of you. 
As you guessed; I have spent a lot of long hours behind the big wheel; my way of seeing this big country. Bugga all interest in them today and I miss the aerial photography more than driving. Pretty well retired now; a little early but not my choice. 

So the photo is really just a snapshot of the day Stumpy was where he shouldn't be without the special permit needed :D . The camera has always been my diary . I doubt I would do so much editing if I wasn't learning the affinity way at the time and it's very unlikely I will have the photo on the wall; in fact I haven't had a photo printed for years. The photo I would like to get is with the 3 trailers in SA or NT, but Stumpy can outdo me these days with his drone. Damn amazing things but nowhere as much fun as hanging out of a low flying aircraft with no doors . 

These days I'm more interested in the finding the photos inside the bigger picture and love using minimal gear . Google Photos by Ian Browne and my facebook page (donkey) will pop up -- I also have a Flickr account but not into the FB "friends" thing or followers. After I have shared my pics I have little need for them.

If OK with the Mods: Just for interest a photo of my last drive -- 113 tons gross weight -- mineral sands -- broken hill 2012. It's no longer than a standard two trailer road train; just a few more wheels

Cheers

2012  0317.jpg

Interesting diverse body of work on Flicka Ian—have bookmarked it and will check in from time to time.

12 hours ago, ianrb said:

Some interesting and heavy thoughts there Pedro

... Wasted effort on my part (laughter). Your Flicka images quite clearly reveal your working knowledge of gestalt, pareidolia and all those other ...  ;)