You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How do I access alternate characters in an Opentype font?

How do I access the extended character set in some of the newer Opentype fonts that have alternate swash caps, etc.? Illustrator has a glyphs panel, which I don't think AD has yet, but is there another way to do this, eg. keyboard shortcut or another utility?

Thanks.

Our OpenType features are accessed via Show Typography, in the Format or Text menu (depending which version of the program you are using). We don't have a proper Access All Alternates yet, but swatches, stylistic sets and I think pretty much everything else is in there.

Hmm, I have the typography panel in the latest beta. It doesn't seem to show anything called swashes.  

I particularly need to access alternate characters, even if it means copying and pasting them for now. I assume that the plan is to have some way to access them in AD in the fullness of time. I just wondered if there was a way to do it now.

Thanks for the video! Helpful to at least know what I was expecting. I was using Zapfino, because I know it has a load of alternates, but obviously it's not set up properly, because none of the opentype features show. Switched to Bickham Pro, and can see how many of the opentype features work for that, ( and very nicely, too). Still can't access some of the variations for that font though. I guess in the end a glyphs panel would be pretty helpful...

Thanks for the help!

• Staff

I see what you mean with Zapfino but note that this also depends on how those features were implemented in the font itself. Illustrator cannot access the Zapfino's alternates other than through the glyphs panel too. Their regular Character panel only gives us access to the same features displayed by Affinity Designer.

I think Zapfino's not built correctly--maybe it's not even opentype. I guess I'll have to wait patiently for you guys to implement a glyphs panel, and copy and paste from Font Book in the meantime. Since starting to work with Affinity Designer, I have removed Illustrator from my system  :) .

• 4 weeks later...