Jump to content
Jason Ramasami

Image clipping on export

Recommended Posts

I have produced a three-part mural using Designer. I drew it on the iPad and used the Mac version to export it as a print-ready pdf because it is much quicker and efficient. Unfortunately when the print people open up the files I am sending they are reporting the attached error message. I have sent two similar panels across and those are fine - the clipping issue doesn't seem to be happening with them.

Any ideas? 

ERROR MESSAGE-Screen Shot 2018-08-07 at 14.08.41.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Saamvisual,
The PDF format can only allow for images up to 200" long. If you're document is longer than this (which is what i'm assuming based on the image and the zoom level), then you will get the above error when trying to open it. Unfortunately this isn't a bug with our export, just a limitation of the PDF Format. Try resizing your document and then re-exporting to PDF - it should open without that error.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/7/2018 at 7:23 AM, Sean P said:

Hi Saamvisual,
The PDF format can only allow for images up to 200" long. ...

Well, actually the PDF specification since version 1.6 allows for pdf dimensions in either or both of 15,000,000 inches (1,250,000 feet, or 236.742 miles...according to my notes). And if you wanna know, there are two other limits: No more than 8,388,607 "indirect" objects and a file size of less than about 10 gigs. The 10 gig thing is a 32-bit application limit and Acrobat/Reader are 32-bit applications.

The 200" in either/both directions is an Adobe limitation in Acrobat & Reader. Some other PDF viewers (e.g., Foxit) do not have this length limitation. But no one would use anything other than a color managed Adobe PDF viewer to professionally print from. I produce 400+ inch PDFs a fw times a year. Not all print establishments can print them, though. All RIPs using the Adobe PDF engine can technically print such PDFs. I've made them from AD as well.

Aren't ya glad I'm bored today? I have plenty of things to do but my mind is mush...

Mike

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, MikeW said:

Well, actually the PDF specification since version 1.6 allows for pdf dimensions in either or both of 15,000,000 inches (1,250,000 feet, or 236.742 miles...according to my notes). And if you wanna know, there are two other limits: No more than 8,388,607 "indirect" objects and a file size of less than about 10 gigs. The 10 gig thing is a 32-bit application limit and Acrobat/Reader are 32-bit applications.

The 200" in either/both directions is an Adobe limitation in Acrobat & Reader. Some other PDF viewers (e.g., Foxit) do not have this length limitation. But no one would use anything other than a color managed Adobe PDF viewer to professionally print from. I produce 400+ inch PDFs a fw times a year. Not all print establishments can print them, though. All RIPs using the Adobe PDF engine can technically print such PDFs. I've made them from AD as well.

Aren't ya glad I'm bored today? I have plenty of things to do but my mind is mush...

Mike

Ahhh I do apologise! I didn't realise it was an Acrobat only limitation! Thanks for the information! :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Sean P said:

Ahhh I do apologise! I didn't realise it was an Acrobat only limitation! Thanks for the information! :) 

All is good, Sean!

I am so full of such near useless information that it's all that comes to mind when I have days of fuzzy thinking. Now, where are my car keys...?

Most Adobe AI and ID users don't realize they can create pages larger in those applications (by inches) than can be output to PDF--up until they try. Another BTW, that 200 inch limitation needs to incorporate bleed and marks as well. So practically, the limitation is less than 200".

The means around the limitation, in AD and some other applications, has been to export to EPS and use a special Adobe Distiller profile appropriately named, Large Documents. This Distiller profile calculates what are called User Units on the fly. Architects have used this profile since it became available (if they knew about it) for large plotting work.

If I recall, Dov Isaacs, Adobe's "Principal Scientist" and all things PDF, said that Acrobat DC will obtain (maybe has by now) the ability to set user units to get around the problem without the need to go through Distiller (and by so doing avoid any EPS issues). I don't have an Acrobat DC subscription to see if it has been incorporated yet and haven't seen mention of it since a thread we were both in. I haven't written David van Driessche (ceo of callas software) to see if pdfToolbox yet incorporates this. callas is who makes the preflight stuff and licenses it to Adobe. Maybe I'll do that today.

Point is, once they (Adobe & callas) do this, it will eventually spread to other PDF routine makers and eventually incorporated into software and this issue will be a thing of the past. I would be surprised if whomever you are licensing the PDF routines through cannot already do this, btw. For practical use in the print industry, though, it may take RIP makers other than Adobe to also support this.

Mike

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×

Important Information

These are the Terms of Use you will be asked to agree to if you join the forum. | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.