You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

An answer to "Can Affinity Photo Run in WINE on Linux?"

The short answer, no

The longer answer, kinda

The installer will run once you have .Net 4/4.5/4.7 installed in your Wine Prefix (used staging 3.13) and completes without any problems. Its starting it up that gets rough.

The windows version of Affinity photo requires the Windows DWM for composition of the application screen and has some custom DLLs that dont seem to happy to hook into the WINE implementation of Windows. The DLLs just straight fail to load at all and while you can get it to attempt to run switching WINE to Windows 8/10 bypassing the Aero not enabled, the application crashes just after opening.

I haven't done extensive testing to get it to actually open, but truth be told you likely won't see good results even if you do. It'll likely run very unstable and slow which defeats it's entire purpose. I imagine because WINE doesn't have a complete DX11 implementation, doesn't have Windows DWM, and doesn't have/implement in full/doesn't implement the exact same any number of other necessary Windows parts it's just not going to be enjoyable. I don't know exactly how ingrained in the Windows ecosystem (dlls, etc)  the windows version of Affinity Photo is but my guess is more than WINE can deal with at this time. 

Hope this helps anyone on Linux looking for an answer and saves you from wasting your time trying to get an application going in WINE just to have it run awful.

EDIT: some issue could be a combo of it requiring .NET Framework and a 64bit install/Prefix. Wine can be a bit sketchy with .NET in 64bit prefixes and not all functions work running .NET application. Issues could also be arising from the rendering engine not enjoying running in WINE . Ive tried everything i ccan to narrow down exactly what issues are causing the DLLs in the program folder to not load and i have to just chalk it up to "AP needs fully implemented windows"

Great feedback, thank you very much.

AD, AP and APub. V1.10.6 and V2.4 Windows 10 and Windows 11. 
Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.

• 2 months later...

This wasn't the news I was hoping for, but at least I know now not to waste more time.  

Affinity Photo is a great product, and I've plunked down my $50 for it, but given prior statements by Affinity about doing anything to help with the state of running this on Linux, I don't see myself blowing any more cash on future versions since it's such a chore to boot into Windows solely for this single program.  Guess I'll need to keep looking for a good photo editor and DAM that will at least run in Wine.  Pity.

[ Removed all what I had written above the below line, because I don't agree now with my own opinions from midst of October, lol... ]

I wouldn't blame (as the majority of the linux users who post here have (not all with the same intensity)  the habit to do) so much these commercial Windows/Mac dev companies. The blame is IMO often assigned to them, very unfairly. The culprits are "at  /home" ;) , imo. 

AD, AP and APub. V1.10.6 and V2.4 Windows 10 and Windows 11. 
Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.

• 3 years later...

I just bought a new pc and put Zorin linux on it. I'm migrating over from win 10. I have got most of my programs and apps running on linux. Some native, some WINE and some that have a linux equivalent. Pity about Affinity publisher. In WINE it wants microsoft .net 3.5 and when it says "open the windows features app" to apparently fix it, nothing happens.

Would be nice for the devs to come up with something, because i think there will be a lot of migrations from Windows due to the WIN 11 debacle.

As Affinity repeatedly expressed no intentions to target the Linux market (probably including Wine to avoid another support battle field), it is up to you and others wishing Affinity on Wine to become true to volunteer:

https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=application&iId=18332

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.