You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

On 8/12/2014 at 12:57 AM, Patrick Thompson said:

In Photoshop I regularly use the Rectangular Marquee Tool to select an area of an image and then use Image -> Crop to crop to the selection. Is this possible in Affinity Designer?

Why just you don't draw a rectangle and put all the layers you need, into it? You can then resize the rectangle or reposition the pictures as you wish.

All the latest releases of Designer, Photo and Publisher (retail and beta) on MacOS and Windows.
15” Dell Inspiron 7559 i7 Windows 10 x64 Pro Intel Core i7-6700HQ (3.50 GHz, 6M) 16 GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600 MHz (8GBx2) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4 GB GDDR5 500 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD UHD (3840 x 2160) Truelife LED - Backlit Touch Display
32” LG 32UN650-W display 3840 x 2160 UHD, IPS, HDR10 Color Gamut: DCI-P3 95%, Color Calibrated 2 x HDMI, 1 x DisplayPort
13.3” MacBook Pro (2017) Ventura 13.6 Intel Core i7 (3.50 GHz Dual Core) 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650 1536 MB 500 GB SSD Retina Display (3360 x 2100)

• 4 weeks later...

+1 to crop from selection

I'm trying very hard to adjust to this radical departure of workflow that I've developed in photoshop in the last 20 years or so....  it's how much I'm loving Affinity :x and how I despise Adobe :25_money_mouth:.  So I'm posting this with respect!  Please attach a higher priority to this and to moving a selection before committing to it.  Even my cat wants this :206_cat:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

+1 to crop from selection. For those saying it is pointless for this feature to be added, not everybody uses the same workflow as you. Stop gate-keeping, you're making Serif's community look toxic and you're bullying the multiple paying customers who have a legitimate request based on comparison to similar software applications. When you say "it's not that hard to just press press C and drag the handles," it's frustrating because: (A) you're arguing against having another way of accomplishing a task; having more options is usually better, and (B) cropping to selection gives you options you don't otherwise have - example: I select by color gamut, or by ctrl+clicking multiple layers, or some other selection method - point is, with a complicated selection, other programs (Photoshop/GIMP/Clip Studio Paint/Etc.) have a lightning fast method - the "crop to selection" option. Photoshop even has a slick function where you can make a marquee selection, and then pressing C turns the selection into a cropping tool selection, which is something I use pretty often. 

Despite how it may sound I do like a lot about Affinity, and I seriously want to see them become a real competitor against Adobe and their predatory, anti-consumer subscription plan. It's just that when I have other non-subscription software (e.g. Clip Studio Paint), and even free software (GIMP) that does have such features I'm used to, it makes it harder for me to enjoy Affinity's products, and I really want to. 

3 hours ago, Dakacha said:

a slick function where you can make a marquee selection, and then pressing C turns the selection into a cropping tool selection, which is something I use pretty often. 

I definitely would want Affinity Photo to have exactly this function (I proposed it in 

Don't know if it would make much sense in Designer.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

"And years have passed - spring - summer - spring and summer again - Affinity has been chasing new features instead add some common sense options." 

Am I missing something or three years later this feature still is not available in the "PRO" app? Could you please at least do not advertise your app like a pro solution? Its still years ahead of being pro IMO. And don't get me wrong I've TRIED! but this app is so messed up in terms of UX that I think that soon you are going to start from scratch as there are bugs and lack of logic in almost every corner. A general overview is good. It is like: oh thats a nice app. BUT if you are a PRO and you need some advanced options this is is not for you as you will discover. I'm uninstalling it and will wait a few years.

Sorry but lack of the crop tool? Seriously? man

2 hours ago, Vasqes said:

Sorry but lack of the crop tool? Seriously? man

There is a crop tool and it works fine. We just want some small additional features like crop to selection (or use selection as area if you switch to crop tool) and having crop tool sticky (keeping mode and settings when doing multiple photos).

@Fixx 

How its working fine as you crop the image but just "mask" it? Do this: create an image 5k/5k add noise just to have something on it Save it. check the file size. Crop it save it again. check the file size... SO how this works fine as image is there but masked? Or something has changed in graphic design software standards? ?? This is so unprofessional. 

• 10 months later...

Yes, would totally vote for a regular crop (selected area) function. That's way faster than the crop tool.

And btw: Is it possible to limit the crop tool area to the existing image? Plus: Can the crop tool store the ratio I enter? As for now I always have to enter the desired ratios everytime I select the tool, which is painful when cropping a lot of images.

• 7 months later...
On 10/29/2019 at 2:01 AM, fdelaneau said:

Now, if you really want to delete the extra content after a crop, you can always go to Layers > Rasterize and trim…

This is exactly what I was looking for in Affinity Photo. Thank you! Most of the time I crop images and then copy them into a new file. But since Affinity Photo's Crop Tool crops images non-destructively, copying a cropped image into a new file just brings all of the non-cropped extra content with it. Totally useless for my needs.

Thanks for the tip to Crop then go to Layer > Rasterize & Trim. Now I can successfully copy the cropped image into a new file.