You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

• 2 months later...

Hey,

I'm continuing on this thread rather than starting a new one with the crop question.

Apart from the Export (which exports only to the 1x & 2x the section you've created), how can I crop an image quickly?

I have a large picture that I need to transform into a smaller and cropped image of the original. Generally I crop the area that I need, then resize, then export.

The only way I could do this is by using Marquee Tool, Cuting the section I needed, pasting (which creates a new layer), resizing the newly created layer, and then using Export Persona.

Is there an easier way then this?

• 9 months later...

Something like "Cropping from a selection" would be really nice to have. Right now I'm also rather stuck with this simple requirement and that's why I came looking here. :)

Neither the actual crop function nor the slice function seems to support snapping to the grid (it's enabled in the snapping dialog, but seems to have no effect). With the selection tool that works, but I can't reduce the image to this very selection. Maybe I'm missing something?

(trying to adjust my Photoshop workflow to Affinity Photo ;) )

3D and 2D hobby(art)ist. You can follow me on Twitter: @binaryriot or Instagram: binaryriot

• Staff

Hi tokai,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

No, you are not missing anything. Currently the Crop tool only snaps to guides.

There will be changes/improvements to guides/grids and snapping later, so probably some of those issues will only be addressed after these changes are implemented but we will get there.

That sounds great. I'm definitely looking forward to what still comes.

Surprisingly it's often the little things that one got used to over the years that are "missing" rather than the big ones one more easily can live without. :D But Affinity Photo is still a very young app, so I'm not complaining. I'm rather impressed actually. :)

Another little thing that could made this step regarding to cropping easier is that when I "Copy"/ "Copy Merged" a selection and then go to "File" / "New" the new document dialog perhaps could have the size of the Clipboard data already set rather than being set to one of the default presets. Then one would just have to Copy+New+Paste and be done too (that's a way I often do in PS too actually.)

3D and 2D hobby(art)ist. You can follow me on Twitter: @binaryriot or Instagram: binaryriot

• 4 weeks later...

Just go to File > New From Clipboard. Boom.

That sounds great. I'm definitely looking forward to what still comes.

Surprisingly it's often the little things that one got used to over the years that are "missing" rather than the big ones one more easily can live without. :D But Affinity Photo is still a very young app, so I'm not complaining. I'm rather impressed actually. :)

Another little thing that could made this step regarding to cropping easier is that when I "Copy"/ "Copy Merged" a selection and then go to "File" / "New" the new document dialog perhaps could have the size of the Clipboard data already set rather than being set to one of the default presets. Then one would just have to Copy+New+Paste and be done too (that's a way I often do in PS too actually.)

2021 16” Macbook Pro w/ M1 Max 10c cpu /24c gpu, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Ventura 13.6

2018 11" iPad Pro w/ A12X cpu/gpu, 256 GB, iPadOS 17

• Staff

stupid question i know but Ive just cropped an image and can't find the done button?

this is in the develop persona by the way not the photo persona

Hi Geminitiger,

There aren't stupid questions. Currently It isn't that easy to find out: you have to double-click inside the Crop grid. This also works for Photo Persona.

• 7 months later...

Sorry to revisit this topic, but I haven't gotten as far as the other people.  I've drawn a rectangular selection area and I want to crop to the selection.  I couldn't find *any* way to do this other than to go into Document->Document Size and manually choose the pixels I want to slice off each side.  The most shocking thing is that when I type "crop" into the help menu in Affiniti Photo, nothing shows up!

I saw hints of the more elaborate approaches in the above discussion, but I don't know how to get to any of them.  I tried the "Quick Reference", but couldn't find anything there.

Any help is appreciated - I just spent all morning trying to clip out a rectangle from an image. 

Thanks,

- Jeff

One side question:  I've constantly been fighting with Affinity Photo because the version of the picture I save isn't the current picture, but a prior version before I edited it.  What steps do you need to take to make sure that when you export an image, you will get in the file what you see on the screen?

Thanks so much for the help,

- Jeff

P. S.  I just love the distort tools. :)  My experience so far is that in Affinity, the impossible is easy and the easy is impossible.  ;)

• Staff

Hi jdiamond,

Currently there's no command to crop to a selection. However you can copy the selection (⌘ (cmd) + C) then go to menu File ▸ New From Clipboard to have it placed on a new document with the same dimensions as the selection. Note that you can only copy pixel selections from Pixel layers. Image layers will be fully copied despite them being entirely inside the selection or not (Image layers are considered an object layer type - they can be modified "globally" - rotated, skewed, scaled etc - but can't be edited at a pixel level).

So if you want to make changes at a pixel level to an image (using brushes, creating/editing selections etc) you must convert them to Pixel layers first.

I'm not sure what do you meant with "the version of the picture I save isn't the current picture, but a prior version before I edited it "in your last post. In which Persona are you working t? What actions are you performing?

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Thanks god every forum has its homebrew coders, who exactly know, what is "not so difficult" to code! :)

SNAP!!!  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I would also like the option to snap cropping to image boundaries. This seems like a very small detail but it is a workaround to create a new document from clipboard if you have a file with some contents in which you want to crop it to the "background image" size. With all snapping options enabled it will not snap.

Is this an error from my part or is this feature just not present yet?

I love Affinity Designer but I still can't use it my daily driver until there's no option for a one click photo crop.

This is something so basic that every other design tool has it.

I still try replace Fireworks and Designer comes close but I can't recommend to my friends until a simple photo crop and save takes at least 4-5 clicks.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Staff

Hi roystin,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Why not use the Crop Tool? I'm assuming you are working with Affinity Photo. Affinity Designer's crop tool is object based rather than document based - most of the time you are laying out graphic design projects/webpages etc and not working in a single photo.