You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Something like "Cropping from a selection" would be really nice to have. Right now I'm also rather stuck with this simple requirement and that's why I came looking here. :)

(trying to adjust my Photoshop workflow to Affinity Photo ;) )

This - and the other comment elsewhere that using the help for "crop" has no results - figured I can use the crop tool although not as obvious or efficient as crop from selection - especially coming from Photoshop. Otherwise I rather like Affinity so far - especially with the price.

If the help just explained what crop options exist (rather than no results for the word crop!) it'd be half the issue solved.

If the help just explained what crop options exist (rather than no results for the word crop!) it'd be half the issue solved.

When I search Affinity Photo help on the word "crop" I get two results, "Crop Tool" & "Cropping and straightening."

For Affinity Designer, I get one result, "Vector Crop Tool."

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• 4 months later...

It is possible to crop an image but you need to use Designer and Photo together. In Designer go to File > Edit in Photo. Once project is loaded in Photo you can crop the document to the size you want, then export if you wish. Would be handy if document cropping was available directly in Designer though.

Hope that helps.

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Nifflas said:

I'll join in and say I need crop to selection. I generally work with low resolution sprites for game development, and I crop a lot. There are so many ways to make a selection and I don't see a reason I should use another tool to crop to it.

Assuming you are going to use the cropped selections as separate files, Why not

Make the selection

Press Ctrl + J to put it on a duplicate layer

Go to Export and in Area: click on a Selection option and it will save just the selection  You can even choose to resize it when saving it.

It's very fast and easy, non-destructive, and you get the sizing benefit.

selection.png

You could even crop different areas from the same image and keep the selections as separate layers, in the one document, outputting each when necessary. Affinity outputs whatever layer you have selected when you choose a selection in the export panel

I would have thought that very useful for game development.

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Staff

Hi DeeT,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

I agree that it's an useful addition but like this one there was also several other useful requests or planned features that have have already been added to the program. We simply cannot add them all at once (the dev team is relatively small and are already doing their best). Sometimes even some requests that may look simple to implement at first from an user's perspective may pose a few challenges/issues to solve (not necessarily this one but still). Please bear with us while we work to improve things.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So to add my voice into the wind that is this 2-year old topic, it's a bit strange to not have this feature that is "standard" in every image tool I can recall. I literally downloaded this trial, pulled in a screen grab that I needed to trim, and not having an obvious crop option was the first issue I ran into. The crop tool "works" but is not the same thing. I don't need to preserve the cropped image non-destructively. I don't want to choose a tool, then pull down from one corner, then pull up from another corner, then click Apply. I want to do what I always do in PS: M -> draw a box -> crop. Bang, done. It's really not that hard!

As I'm sure you know, it's all about efficient workflow, and for you, also attracting PS and other tool users. This is such a simple and common action it's a bit mind-boggling to me that it's missing after all this time. As a trial user new to this tool it also makes me wonder what other little bits of weirdness I might run into.

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Dalai said:

I also registered to say I'd appreciate a "Crop to selection" option. Maybe it's just ingrained workflow coming from Photoshop, but it seems clunky to have to switch tool just for cropping.

Agreed. I think crop is a standard tool that should be in both applications as not everyone will have Affinity Photo.

8 minutes ago, StaceyUK said:

Agreed. I think crop is a standard tool that should be in both applications as not everyone will have Affinity Photo.

As discussed earlier in this thread, cropping in Affinity Designer is object-based, so we shouldn’t expect it to work the same way as cropping in Affinity Photo.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

• 1 month later...
On 9/14/2015 at 6:16 PM, MEB said:

There aren't stupid questions. Currently It isn't that easy to find out: you have to double-click inside the Crop grid. This also works for Photo Persona.

The crop tool of the Designer works as a simple mask tool. It has nothing to do what most of the questions about. They mean canvas crop, something, what redefines the canvas size.

The confusion escalates when Designer uses a universal icon (the crop tool) and connects a totally different function to it.
The tool that is close to an average crop tool is the artboard tool.

• Staff

Hi keiichi77,

The part you quoted is from a reply i gave to an user that was using Affinity Photo, not Designer. 

As I explained before the Vector Crop Tool in Designer is object based rather than document based (as in Affinity Photo) and only affects the object/layer selected not the whole document (through a vector mask - which you can also edit manually if needed). The concepts and terminology are different from other software which usually only have/refer a document based crop but it doesn't mean it's necessarily wrong.

The Artboard Tool only serves to resize the canvas (or create new artboards). It doesn't crop it either, all data is still there. In that sense it acts like a mask too. What's confusing people is the fact they tend to associate the crop with the whole document only. Designer also adopts it at an object level - although implemented it through a vector mask.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
11 hours ago, Samba said:

Another sign up just for a basic crop tool. It's been years and I'm about to jump back to Elements. Serif, please address this. 

If you are talking about Photo, it is basic, surely ?

Select the Crop tool (or use the C shortcut) draw an area and press Return. How more basic could it be ?

If you are talking about Affinity Designer, you cannot have the same sort of crop as Photoshop Elements. Designer is page based, like MS Word, not "canvas" based like Photo or Photoshop. These programs are designed to produce complex pages at the correct size for printing (perhaps with bleed and crop marks) not single images. In MS Word, you would not expect the image crop tool to crop the whole page. 

With page layout programs, like Designer, InDesign and MS Word, you create the page first, setting final page size, bleed etc and then place objects on it, basically setting it for the final print (or paper) size. Therefore the page size, not the image size is the main size setting in all page based programs. 

With single image (or canvas) based programs like Photo or Photoshop Elements you resize (or crop) a single image to fit within a frame on a page (paper page or website) and Photo makes in very easy to non-destructively crop images to place on pages (print or web).

You can't compare a page orientated program like Designer or Word to an image orientated program like Photoshop or Photo. If that's what you are doing ? 

Despite using Photoshop for nearly thirty years, I much prefer Photo now so stepping back to Photoshop Elements would be like touch typing with one hand.  IMHO Photo is much better than Photoshop Elements and it's not expensive compared to any version of Photoshop.

2 hours ago, toltec said:

Select the Crop tool (or use the C shortcut) draw an area and press Return. How more basic could it be ?

There should be an option to scale the crop at the same time. Not really basic but indispensable anyway. It is coming, maybe in next version, I have heard.

4 minutes ago, Fixx said:

There should be an option to scale the crop at the same time. Not really basic but indispensable anyway. It is coming, maybe in next version, I have heard.

Agreed. That is one thing I do really miss from PS.

• 2 months later...

I just registered to chime in on this thread...

I  only just discovered AP and had high hopes for it as a PS replacement however 2 minutes in and I've already come across this limitation. I'm astounded that there is still no PS Trim equivalent. Is there even a workaround other than having to do a square crop visually? All I want to do is trim the whitespace away from an image based on the top left pixel color. I've searched the forums and can't find an answer. 

• 2 months later...

Being able to crop or define a slice from a selection could be really useful when creating macros.

I currently have a few hundred images from a client where I need to crop the extra white border, I was hoping to achieve this with Affinity Photo and a little macro but it seems I’ll have to go back to Photoshop for this.

• 2 months later...

This is a standard workflow, when trying to match-up layers into a size they have common: Line them up with opacity, make a selection from the smallest layer,  crop the whole thing. CROP command is basic, even the most simple preview app has it.

What is the workflow currently? To copy/paste 15 layers into new document, because there is no crop command? I'm really surprised this thread is 3+ years old and still going. Bumping the thread and hoping it will be prioritised...