Jayden Brand

White Balance Arrows Take Things Too Far (RAW Develop)

Hey there

My buttons for white balance under RAW development are not working properly...

They go way too far, and I am not sure how to fix it.

I've uploaded 3 pictures and one video to demonstrate what I mean... I've also attached two pictures of my Assistant and Performance settings :)

Thank you :D

Example 1.png

Example 2.png

Example 3.png

Example 4.png

Example 5.png

Hi Jayden,

That's very strange - I've just tried with some RAW files from the same camera (although not the same lens) and it seems to behave. I think the range is fine, the issue is that as soon as you click the down arrow it goes straight to 2000k instead of gradually. Have you got some other RAW files from other sessions? Do they do the same?

Hey Sean

I have tried on multiple different images and it is the same result on all of them.

Also, when I drag the slider up (to 25000k), it applies warm white balance, but then as soon as I click the UP arrow (to make it warmer, which it can't go anymore) it suddenly applies an ice cold coloration, even though the slider is toward the right...

Not sure what I'm doing wrong. I've tested different settings to make sure that it is not a standalone problem, but it doesn't seem to make a difference.

1 hour ago, Jayden Brand said:

Hey Sean

I have tried on multiple different images and it is the same result on all of them.

Also, when I drag the slider up (to 25000k), it applies warm white balance, but then as soon as I click the UP arrow (to make it warmer, which it can't go anymore) it suddenly applies an ice cold coloration, even though the slider is toward the right...

Not sure what I'm doing wrong. I've tested different settings to make sure that it is not a standalone problem, but it doesn't seem to make a difference.

No worries! Would you mind attaching one of the RAW files it happens with please? I did try the RAW file you gave me for your previous issue and whilst it did jump down a bit, it only did it once, and was nowhere near what your video shows.

Here attached is the image that I have used in the video...

Quick question; I don't close Affinity Photo down after I have finished working for the day because I work in RAW develop and cant save the settings on the RAW develop sliders (because I need a few days to make sure that the images are edited correctly), so do you think that there is a chance that that could be the cause for the issues I'm facing? I do quit it every few days when I've finished my work on all the images.

IMG_2897.CR2

17 hours ago, Jayden Brand said:

Here attached is the image that I have used in the video...

Quick question; I don't close Affinity Photo down after I have finished working for the day because I work in RAW develop and cant save the settings on the RAW develop sliders (because I need a few days to make sure that the images are edited correctly), so do you think that there is a chance that that could be the cause for the issues I'm facing? I do quit it every few days when I've finished my work on all the images.

IMG_2897.CR2

Thanks for the file. It could well be related to leaving it open for a while, a change or action done prior to this might have caused it. Would you be able to restart the app and let me know how it goes? I've tried your file and all I can manage was it to jump a little bit after going into the Develop Assistant - but nothing like what you're getting.

I've saved my work (I'm pretty sure the images I've kept open for editing are good) and restarted affinity, and white balance is working normally again. I have tried to reopen the file, and it works, and I have opened multiple files alongside it, and in those other files, the sliders dropped a little bit more (about the same that I saw in your video,) then it returned to normal. Thank you so much :)