You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Merge shapes and color separation

I love to jump from illustrator to affinity designer even if it currently lacks "select same color" feature, but what confuses me more is how to prepare color separated files for screen printing?

In illustrator i would just go select all shapes, merge them in pathfinder and then using "select same color" just pick them all and separate to different layers. 

How to do similar stuff in affinity?

6 hours ago, GabrielM said:

Hi @midiankai,

Welcome to the forums.

You can work with spot and global colours. Select the objects you want to colour, assign a global spot colour to it. When you export, make sure you click on "more" and tick "honour spot colours". 

Global, Spot and Overprint Colours

Thanks,

Gabe. 

But how does this answer the color separation question? I mean yes i can assign the spot colors ok, but how dow i separate each color to separate layers to make screens? i need to make somehow stencils with each color without having the other colors underneath it.

here's example separated-colors.jpg

14 hours ago, midiankai said:

But how does this answer the color separation question? I mean yes i can assign the spot colors ok, but how dow i separate each color to separate layers to make screens? i need to make somehow stencils with each color without having the other colors underneath it.

here's example separated-colors.jpg

If you created the White, the Blue, the Grey and the Red as Spot colours, they would output exactly as you show above, each one on a separate film (which would be black) or plate. As long as you tick honour spot colours when you output.

Do you need to see them as separate black images in Designer first?

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.