You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Focus Merge Sources

I'm very new to Affinity Photo, but have tried to research my problem before posting here. One of the main reasons I chose Affinity Photo over Corel Paint Shop Pro was the ability to Focus Merge (Stacking) output from my Panasonic GX80. However, its seems to me (and others have confirmed) that the Merge Sources that appear automatically after a new Focus Merge cannot be retrieved after the file is saved and closed.

To get the Sources again to do more cloning away of merge artefacts we need to rerun the entire Focus Merge sequence all over again. This might be an acceptable work around if each merge only involved 3 to 5 images and the process took only seconds. However, in reality merges often involve dozens of images and the process takes quite a while to complete and the output might need a fair bit of improving via Source cloning. And, it might not be convenient for a user to do this immediately. More realistically, a user might have other focus merge batches to process or other workflow that requires higher priority or may even just want to save the focus merge image and do the cloning improvements later.

So, can we please have a "Reload Sources" button on the Focus Merge window or some other suitable solution?

I'll support this. Please find a way to continue work on big focus stacking over several sessions. It impossible to check and edit 300 shots in a one go, we must be able to save work and continue later.

I'm considering present Photo behavior of forgetting sources between sessions as a bug, and a long one as this is already reported here more then a year ago: