Subclavius

[Fixed] Large file TIFF from scanner does not load correctly

Affinity Photo 1.6.4.104/Windows 10

Am trying to load a large TIFF file from the scanner. It is a 16 bit file with dimensions 12163x15348 (see pic from Windows).  However, when loaded (apparently without error) into Affinity Photo the file size is drastically reduced to 1090x1375 (see pic from AP).

(1) This file loads correctly into Lightroom

(2) A smaller version of the TIFF file (4561x5756), also 16 bit, loads correctly into AP.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Nigel

FileSize - Windows.jpg

FileSize - Affinity Photo.jpg

As you've shown, it loaded into the Develop Persona, which is not correct for a TIFF file. Something about that file seems to have confused Affinity Photo into thinking it's a RAW file not a TIFF file. The Serif team may need a copy of the actual file to diagnose the issue, unless they already have that problem logged.

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1809, 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00Gz
Affinity Photo 1.6.5.123 and 1.7.0.243 Beta
Affinity Designer 1.6..5.123 and 1.7.0.243 Beta
Affinity Publisher 1.7.0.238 Beta

Thank you Walt for that nugget. I didn't know that.  The smaller file (from a lower res scan) is also a .tif file and this also opens in the Develop persona.  For what it's worth I changed the file extension to .tiff but that makes no difference.  I imagine you're right that AP thinks it's a RAW file and I guess that there's a size limit for RAW files which is being hit.

Nigel

If both TIFF files opened in the Develop Persona there is either something wrong with them, or with Affinity Photo's interpretation of them. You should probably attach one of the smaller files here so the Serif team can examine it. If there's anything sensitive in it you could scan something innocuous, verify that it is also not handled correctly, and upload that instead.

-- Walt

I have tested a small .tif file which loads into the develop persona (see pic).  It is a scan of a USAF target at low res.  The software used to create it is SilverFast Ai Studio 8.8.  In fact all scans from this software load into the Develop persona.  I have opened them with both Lightroom and other software e.g. GIMP and a proprietary TIFF editor and all open correctly without hint of a problem.  I have also attached the .tif file in the hope that someone knowledgeable at Serif (or anyone else out there) can shed some light on the matter.

Thank you once again for your help Walt.

Nigel

TIFF to Develop Persona.jpg

USAF 0.7mm 600ppi.tif

That opens in the Develop Persona for me, too.

One interesting aspect of that file is that the byte order is "Big-endian", unlike other TIFF files I've seen that work correctly in Affinity Photo which are "Little-endian". Perhaps someone from Serif will be able to comment further. Thanks for supplying the file.

-- Walt

Hi Subclavius.

The issue with the opening up in Develop is because they're 16bit Greyscale TIFFs. - This is a known issue with development to be fixed. However would you be able to upload the larger Tuscany Track.tif file please so we can look into the dimensions of the image not being correct please? I've created an internal Dropbox link here for you to upload to us:

https://www.dropbox.com/request/EU8EHLzWUJVPzk3hlCDg

Thanks!