You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo extremely slow with complex colours.

When working with complex colours and complex operations such as 'Rectangle to Point' response of the operation is extremely slow.

Which ever operation I am using such as the mentioned operation, as well as saving after the operation, or loading up again from my tiff file after saving after the operation, Affinity is extremely slow. I can wait 10 to 15 minutes for the operation to be carried out, whether it's changing the photo as in the first operation, or saving, or loading up. It's only with complex colours and complex operation with complex colours. Monochrome photo's are ok. they are fairly quick. Also above the menu bar I often get the message 'Affinity Not Responding', then I get a window in the screen centre telling me it's not responding and asking do I want to shut down or wait. It's very exasperating.

Any ideas please?

• Staff

Hi heskphotography,

Could you upload the .afphoto file and give me some steps from your workflow so i can see if i get the same issues and find out whats going on.  I suspect the file will be large, so you can upload it to our Dropbox account here and all files will be deleted once the issue has been looked at.

Hi stokerg

The file is in TIFF. It was loaded onto Affinity from my Tiff files. The distort filter, Rectangle to polar was applied. That took a long time to work. Then I re-applied the same filter which took slightly longer than the first time. File to follow in Dropbox.

Taking for ever to upload.

Edited by heskphotography
Additional info

The Tiff file is 1.59GB. It is huge. I have since done the same exercise with other Tiff smaller files in MB's and the files have been converted at a lot quicker rate. So it appears to me that if the files are very large, as in GB, or bordering on that size, the whole programme slows down or simply does not respond. I started to upload the GByte file to your Dropbox. It was taking far too long. 45 minutes and only 8% was uploaded.

So it appears that Affinity will only work a finite size of file. I may be wrong.

Please let me know what you think. I will be interested to know.

• Staff
32 minutes ago, heskphotography said:

The Tiff file is 1.59GB. It is huge.

Okay, so what are the dimensions of the image?  When you say complex colours, what exactly do you mean, is it a gradient for example?  A screenshot may help, showing the layers panel as well.  As a test and if you apply on adjustment, merge the layer, apply another, merge, is it okay?  I know it's not the ideal work flow, but giving the dimensions of the image and rendering the effects applied may just be a bit to much for Affinity.  Without the file, it's hard to say but i also understand at 1.50 gig it's not an easy upload.

I sent a Jpg file to your drop box. That was 200Meg. It will show you the colours I'm talking about. It may be just too much for Affinity. In the last message I sent more than just, 'the Tiff file is 1,59gig. It's huge.' Did you get all the message?

As the image tiff is 1.59Gig doing anything with it, like selecting, copying and pasting, is just going to increase the size, as it's like copying and pasting the same size of file again. It's just adding to the original 1.59Gig size to itself. It's just too much for Affinity to cope with easily. 

Thank you for your input, but that's the answer that I have come to.