You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Progress with the Affinity Designer feature road map (split)

10 hours ago, Hokusai said:

Jesse,

My post was in response to the post that I read, after that I found your post that preceded it further up the chain and I do see that we both have similar opinions about Adobe. If you only read your second post that point isn't clear (but it is in the first post). I'm not sure why I didn't see your first post but nevertheless I should have seen it. Sorry that you think I'm defensive. I'm not defensive and from what I read here most people who post here are pretty laidback and helpful. In fact most of the people that I interact with here are really nice and helpful. Some are funny and sarcastic but still enjoyable and many are incredibly knowledgeable. 

I'm still interested in hearing about all those companies that you were talking about that have a higher level of transparency than Serif does. I've never seen a company that was as upfront about what they are doing and where they are going with their development as Serif has been. I think it is refreshing and it is surprising to hear anyone claim that Serif is falling short in that regard. As far as customer service goes, from my experiences with Serif over the past 4 years their customer service has been stellar. I lived many years in Japan which has hands down the best customer service on the planet and I would say that Serif's customer service is very Japanese like. To me, Serif's customer service and the developers and other employees who post here on these forums do a remarkable job helping people, listening to complaints, requests (which I can imagine gets annoying after a time), and questions. I'm sure that they even type messages with a smile on their faces. Can you give me an example of where they fall short with their customer service? 

I can understand your point about how Serif markets its software but I disagree. Not all professionals use Adobe's software so saying something is for professionals doesn't mean that something is a replacement for Adobe's stuff. I use Designer the most but I still use Illustrator from time to time. So to me Designer isn't a substitute for Illustrator, it is an alternative to it. I think that many people are like that. Serif is making and supporting its own software and they have their own philosophy on how things should work. Is it for professionals? I think so and it seems that many other professionals do too. Is it for everyone? Only each user can decide. You brought up the issue of comparing it to Adobe so that is why I commented on it. This is a discussion so I would think it is acceptable. You said that I proved your point but to me it wasn't proved at all so if you wouldn't mind going ahead and making a better case for it I'm looking forward to reading it. 

Of course I'm all for improving Designer. I do my best to make suggestions and give feedback in a manner that is civil without being demanding and rude. I too came to Designer from Illustrator and I am willing to put up with a few small inconveniences caused by a lack of a feature or two because I think Designer is headed in the right direction. I like the choices that the developers have made and I trust that they are taking the program in the direction that is best. I wish you the best of luck with learning Designer and I hope that you are successful in your artistic or other graphics related pursuits. 

Best regards,

Hokusai

Honestly I am growing tired of this discussion. I'm done, obviously you all are happy with how this forum is working, I was attempting to make it better but I see now it is what it is. Trust that there are many users like me that are put off by this place, but I get it, no one at Serif cares.  Thanks for taking the time to respond, good luck in your endevours as well!

1 hour ago, rubs said:

Anyway, AD is still my main and tool and will continue to be, hopefully for a long time. I hope it evolves in a positive way. This obviously includes keeping the platform as stable and bug-free as possible.

rubs,

I too hope that Designer continues to evolve in a positive way and I think it will seeing how dedicated the developers are and how passionate the users are about making it better by making requests, suggestions and bug reports. 

Hokusai

7 minutes ago, Jesse (Mediabound) said:

Honestly I am growing tired of this discussion. I'm done, obviously you all are happy with how this forum is working, I was attempting to make it better but I see now it is what it is. Trust that there are many users like me that are put off by this place, but I get it, no one at Serif cares.  Thanks for taking the time to respond, good luck in your endevours as well!

Jesse,

I don't know how you can be tired of this discussion so quickly:D. I thought the purpose of this forum was to discuss things and to hash out things. I'm sorry I really don't understand how you think things could be better. If you could expound your ideas a little more then maybe I could better grasp your idea. The only thing I've read that you've posted is you think the forums are a bad way of handling customer service but you didn't give examples or suggest any alternatives. If you truly think so and you'd like to see things improved then offer some suggestions as to how Serif could better handle things. The employees of Serif and the developers do read these forums and if you have a better way of doing things, I'm sure that they'd love to hear it. 

I  really believe that Designer (and the other Affinity Products) are headed in the right direction and I want to do what I can to help make them better and I also like to help new users by helping answer their questions. I think that most of the other advanced users here are the same. How is that putting people off? I'm also not sure how you came to the conclusion that "no one at Serif cares" when you are such a new user with very few posts. Did you post a question that wasn't answered or was it something else? 

Best regards,
Hokusai

On 9/4/2018 at 5:06 PM, Hokusai said:

Jesse,

I don't know how you can be tired of this discussion so quickly:D. I thought the purpose of this forum was to discuss things and to hash out things. I'm sorry I really don't understand how you think things could be better. If you could expound your ideas a little more then maybe I could better grasp your idea. The only thing I've read that you've posted is you think the forums are a bad way of handling customer service but you didn't give examples or suggest any alternatives. If you truly think so and you'd like to see things improved then offer some suggestions as to how Serif could better handle things. The employees of Serif and the developers do read these forums and if you have a better way of doing things, I'm sure that they'd love to hear it. 

I  really believe that Designer (and the other Affinity Products) are headed in the right direction and I want to do what I can to help make them better and I also like to help new users by helping answer their questions. I think that most of the other advanced users here are the same. How is that putting people off? I'm also not sure how you came to the conclusion that "no one at Serif cares" when you are such a new user with very few posts. Did you post a question that wasn't answered or was it something else? 

Best regards,
Hokusai

You run this board like Affinity Designer is an idealistic pursuit. I'm sure you're convinced I am the problem, that's good, think what you want. Where can I talk to actual Serif customer service staff? This is gross if this is how they are letting their customers be treated.

• Staff

I am stopping this right now. Thread pruned and locked.

Jesse, if you would like to contact our Customer Service team directly please send an email to affinity@serif.com 

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon