You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Where is the Advanced Training for AP?

49 minutes ago, toltec said:

There is a difference between Clipping and Masking., although both do similar things. I don't think there is such a thing as a "Clipping Mask" ?

Clipping would be better for your purpose.

If you clip an image, in a shape.

heart1.jpg.e5fde59a2566f1a151a0869825c5b2f0.jpg

You can resize the shape without image distortion

heart2.jpg.6182eeca7a3471ce3be7978c14602c4f.jpg

Change the shape, without image distortion.

heart5.jpg.f01aabdbec0fa4f9ce6b9200b6e84acf.jpg

Resize the image inside the shape

heart3.jpg.dc2d35670d86e473f26b4a8937c10746.jpg

Or replace the image inside the shape (without removing the old image first.

girl2.jpg.b145bb6819dc208f66057c53c3e6018a.jpg

1. Drag the image to the nesting position of the clipping shape.

clip.jpg.a4ab9680ca0164a8a329da12942b4648.jpgNesting position

2. To adjust just the shape, without affecting the image. Click Lock Children on the Context Toolbar.

lock.jpg.4b37fe4087879658e9b8cabd36f42a35.jpg

3. To adjust the image size or position inside the shape, without affecting the shape, double click so the image's blue bounding box appears. 

4. To replace the image*. Double click again and click Replace Image on the Context Toolbar.

replace.jpg.7d32b5c250af115c9b394fdb328055c6.jpg

* This only works with an image you 'Place' on top of the main image (File > Place). You can clip the background image but you can't 'Replace' it using step 4.

You can save a bit of time on the process.

1 Create a shape.

2 Click Insert inside the selection.

inside.jpg.d7ba841d096fdcda220994e30342828f.jpg

3. Go File > Place and the image you load will be automatically clipped inside the shape, drag the Place handle to position and size it. This saves you having to drag the image on the shape to clip it..

All the other moving, sizing and replacing operations work as listed above.

Wow!  Thanks so much!  I missed the "Lock Children", and the place inside icon set.  The double clicking only seems to work for me if the outline shape is at the top of the layer stack -- otherwise it goes to the layer above.

There is SO much more to learn about AP!  And, BTW, I like this program so much better than "those other guys'"!!!

Dear Affinity Photo Site Administrator:  You have deleted one of my posts!  Why?  I was demonstrating that I could actually do the Bitmap linking used for Textures with  the Gradient Tool with a small pink flower!  Were you concerned that the photos of the women were not in the public domain?  I assure you they were.    They all came from "courses.affinityrevolution.com" -- which I paid for, but the instructor mentioned that these photos were in the public domain, AND many of these tutorials are also on YouTube with links to the photos by anyone.  Such as This Girl: With link Here: http://affinityrevolution.com/nashville/

19 minutes ago, tkarl__nn said:

I watched the entire video, but I missed sizing from the center.  Me or you?

Which video? Like I said the last time you posted this same question, the video tutorials in the sections below the Basic section assume you already are familiar with the basics, including how the Shift key constraint works, moving & resizing, & so on.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

On 8/6/2018 at 4:02 PM, R C-R said:

The video tutorial I mentioned previously in this post demonstrates how to do that.

I watched the entire video, but I missed sizing from the center.  Me or you?

Just now, R C-R said:

Which video? Like I said the last time you posted this same question, the video tutorials in the sections below the Basic section assume you already are familiar with the basics, including how the Shift key constraint works, moving & resizing, & so on.

Sorry, this is an older reply.  It keeps popping up as if I did not hit the "Submit Reply" button.  I replied just not because I thought it was never sent.  I have watched dozens and dozens of videos on AP both from the AP Video guy and from "Affinity Revolution".  Sometimes things get missed.  I will try not to waste everyone's time here.