You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Vector object not responding to gradient change

New user - trying basics.

Duplicated vector object, altered HSL (experimenting), tried to revert (wanting to have only Hue changed from original) but was stuck with all the changes I’d just made.

* Attached image has text explaining sequence.

Obviously doesn’t matter in this (testing) case - but a bit worrying.

EDIT....Incidental, about this forum: this png is sharp in Photos. But I see its quality is much reduced here - though it showed the correct MB when uploading. ??

EDIT 2... Also, should have mentioned something odd showed while moving rectangle B down to be D. See second image below...

(Red-brown Rectangle irrelevant)

1A686914-7AA5-4C7F-8104-12A057C46BA2.png

175F33EA-4E38-4EEB-BF55-6D71EC053C85.png

Gabriel... No, it was never undo. By reverting, I meant simply returning to the values they had been as duplicated from the original - all except Hue, for that had been intention (after first ‘playing’ with other Sat, Lum, Transp settings. just to change one from green to blue with everything else the same.

But, even if Undo had played a part, that wouldn’t explain how B and D cannot be changed at all from how they are now - regardless of how drastically or how often I change some or all colour values.

2 hours ago, Glenn said:

By reverting, I meant simply returning to the values they had been as duplicated from the original ...

How exactly are you trying to do that? In your screenshots, you do not seem to have the Fill Tool or any of its color stops or any object selected.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Thanks, R C-R - I get your thinking (I, too, always look first to user error - my own particularly!) but I have worked for several years with several apps and do know an object has to be selected for its properties to be changed...

(The screenshot was after the event, not during).

19 minutes ago, Glenn said:

Thanks, R C-R - I get your thinking (I, too, always look first to user error - my own particularly!) but I have worked for several years with several apps and do know an object has to be selected for its properties to be changed...

OK, but to change a gradient stop value, you have to select the Fill Tool as well as the object, & then select the stop you want to change. Only then you can set that stop's color, opacity or noise properties in the Color Studio. If you are doing that, I am not sure why it isn't working for you because it works fine for me when I do that.

Also, AFAIK there is no 'return to' feature for a fill property once it has been changed, other than with undo or in history. For a duplicate you could select the original vector object, copy it, select the duplicate, & then from the Edit menu select "Paste Style.' However, that will also paste all the other stylistic properties, like stroke width & color, which may not be what you want.

Regardless, it would be helpful if you could post a screen recording of the steps you are taking in your test case (with Show Touches enabled) & maybe the afdesign file itself (with history) too. As it is, I am not sure what tools you are using or in what sequence you are using them.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Thanks for your patience. I still could nothing to change the objects’ colours and eventually re-installed and re-booted and then all was perfectly ok - could do nothing to replicate the problem. And the ‘ghost’ object outline has not re-appeared. No idea what was going on, but glad it so far seems to have been a one-off.

I did, however, come upon another gradients issue that puzzles me.

You’ll see in the attached .afdesign file (History retained) that the top and bottom rectangles are simple solid fills - with no gradient or transparency applied.

But both are affected by the transparency applied to the gradient stops of the middle rectangle. As they pass across that middle rectangle they change from solid to gradient; and back to solid when beyond the range of the middle one’s gradient.

You’ll see Layer order makes no difference.

Is this something expected, or am I missing something, or doing something wrong?

Gradients Test 2.afdesign

17 minutes ago, Glenn said:

Is this something expected, or am I missing something, or doing something wrong?

From what I can tell this is not expected & probably the result of some bug. Your attached file did not have history retained when I opening it so I'm not sure what steps might have triggered it.

Anyway, the group layer was set to screen blend mode but as far as I know that should not have created this effect. It was easy to fix by ungrouping & then regrouping the 3 rectangles, as in this Gradients Test 2 fixed.afdesign (history included), but I don't know why that was necessary. :S

Affinity Photo 

6 minutes ago, GabrielM said:

@Glenn That's because your transparency only starts halfway through the rectangle :)

Dang it! I keep forgetting that there is a separate Transparency Tool in Affinity Designer so I only checked each layer for an applied gradient. :$

Affinity Photo 

My thanks again.

Looks like I’d been trying out too many tools and procedures at the same time, only to then forget what i’d just done! Like having used both the transparency tool and the Opacity in Colour Studio on the same object and gradient stops and being mystified when changing the values of one didn’t change the alpha completely.

(And should spend more time visiting the help section...)!