1. Hold down Zoom Out keyboard equivalent (Cmd + Option + Space Bar)

2. Draw a rectangle with Zoom tool 

3.  You just zoomed in!

2017 15" MacBook Pro 14,3 w/ Intel 4 Core i7 @ 2.8 GHz, 16 GB RAM, AMD 455 @ 2 GB, 512 GB SSD, macOS High Sierra

Hi ronny

As you draw the rectangle you can actually see that the cursor changes from a minus sign to a positive one. So in a way this kinda working but I think it should probably be a bit smarter than that! 

Also you don't need to hold down cmd to zoom out. Just option and space will do!

Serif Europe Ltd - Check the latest news at www.affinity.serif.com

Hey Chris_K

Thanks for the feedback, unfortunately it doesn't work. When I press Option + Space bar + drag to draw zoom out rectangle, AD zooms in, not out. Option + Space Bar to zoom out only works appropriately when you click, not when you drag a rectangle. When I do as you suggest starting with the Rectangle tool selected, I get the Color Sampling Loupe! It then gets stuck on the screen and the regular cursor disappears! One way out is to option + drag again to reset the Color Sampling Loupe... seems like its a bug, try it yourself, if you don't reproduce it, I'll post a video...

Hi ronny

As you draw the rectangle you can actually see that the cursor changes from a minus sign to a positive one. So in a way this kinda working but I think it should probably be a bit smarter than that! 

Also you don't need to hold down cmd to zoom out. Just option and space will do!

2017 15" MacBook Pro 14,3 w/ Intel 4 Core i7 @ 2.8 GHz, 16 GB RAM, AMD 455 @ 2 GB, 512 GB SSD, macOS High Sierra

Yes, the loupe gets stuck ... and this is a little annoying ... on OS X Lion another option-drag attempt will make it disappear just by chance ... at least it feels like this ...  :(

Hey Chris_K

Thanks for the feedback, unfortunately it doesn't work. When I press Option + Space bar + drag to draw zoom out rectangle, AD zooms in, not out. Option + Space Bar to zoom out only works appropriately when you click, not when you drag a rectangle. When I do as you suggest starting with the Rectangle tool selected, I get the Color Sampling Loupe! It then gets stuck on the screen and the regular cursor disappears! One way out is to option + drag again to reset the Color Sampling Loupe... seems like its a bug, try it yourself, if you don't reproduce it, I'll post a video...

^_^ I think you got the wrong end of the stick here ronny!

What I meant to say is that I agree it is broken for dragging behaviour but I can see why it currently behaves like it does! When I said rectangle I actually meant the zoom marquee! But you've seemed to have uncovered another issue so it's a happy accident!

Probably should have explained myself better!  :blink:

Serif Europe Ltd - Check the latest news at www.affinity.serif.com

It makes sense that with a drag you can only zoom in, as you can't draw a marquee larger than what is displayed to zoom out to.  So the marquee will always be smaller than the current display hence a zoom in will happen.  I find the option + center wheel on the mouse to zoom in and out is the best way to zoom.  It smoothly zooms with the cursor in the center of the zoom.  The cmd-0 is my only other zoom used.

iMac (27-inch, Late 2009) with macOS Sierra

Haha, Ok Chris, glad we figured it out, lol... And that second bug, that only happens with the rectangle tool. It happened to me once before and I couldn't reproduce it, so I'm glad it resurfaced...

^_^ I think you got the wrong end of the stick here ronny!

What I meant to say is that I agree it is broken for dragging behaviour but I can see why it currently behaves like it does! When I said rectangle I actually meant the zoom marquee! But you've seemed to have uncovered another issue so it's a happy accident!

Probably should have explained myself better!  :blink:

Well, not really, Gear maker; Zoom out via dragging a rectangle  it works in every other program... I understand what you are saying, logically you cannot draw a larger rectangle than what the screen will display; can the rectangle's width or height be used to resize the view by making the new zoom level proportional to the either of the rectangle's proportion?

Meaning if the screen is zoomed to 200%, and I draw a rectangle that's 50% of the screen width or height– we'll let the devs figure out the maths ;) — then the apps out to zoom out to 100%.... I hope that makes sense...

It makes sense that with a drag you can only zoom in, as you can't draw a marquee larger than what is displayed to zoom out to.  So the marquee will always be smaller than the current display hence a zoom in will happen.  I find the option + center wheel on the mouse to zoom in and out is the best way to zoom.  It smoothly zooms with the cursor in the center of the zoom.  The cmd-0 is my only other zoom used.

I'll take your word for it.   :huh:   Can't say I have ever run into an app that that did work for, but I just may have done it different ways.  There's so many ways to skin a (oops I better not say that here  :wacko: ).

iMac (27-inch, Late 2009) with macOS Sierra

It works in Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop, and if I recall correctly, it also works in Freehand...

Basically all I'm saying is if the zoom out modifier is being held down, figure out the zoom out ratio by using the maths:

Zoom rectangle width (or height, whichever is more relevant) divided by Screen width (or height).

This should yield a zoom factor that's less than 100%, which can then be used to zoom the view out while centering it in the center of the zoom out rectangle...

I'll take your word for it.   :huh:   Can't say I have ever run into an app that that did work for, but I just may have done it different ways.  There's so many ways to skin a (oops I better not say that here  :wacko: ).

I have another bug with the zoom:

When drawing with de brush paint tool or Pixel ( B ), I hit the space bar (turn on drag tool) and nothing happend when cmd is pressed ti enter zoom in tool, the same when alt is pressed for zoom out.

Anyone with the same?

------------------------------------------------------

Edited

This bug was reported, now atending to the other post.

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/5456-inconsistent-zoom-behaviour-with-cmdspace/