You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Media Browser not displaying all Libraries

I have several iPhoto and Aperture libraries in several places on my computer, some on the Boot SSD, and others on a regular HDD. The media Browser correctly displays the libraries in the Pictures folder, but It won't show other libraries properly. I tried dragging them as suggested by the onscreen text on the media browser, and although it imported the libraries, they did not behave as normal libraries, instead allowing me to navigate the bundle's folder structure instead of presenting me the projects oin the libraries. I could however tunnel through and find the proper folder, but its a PITA. This is what it looks like:

post-1105-0-26303900-1425703039_thumb.jpg

Additionally I tried adding symbolic links of the Libraries on the non-boot HDD into the Pictures folder of the Boot SSD where the other libraries that work reside, but this also yielded the same results...

2021 16” Macbook Pro w/ M1 Max 10c cpu /24c gpu, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Ventura 13.6

2018 11" iPad Pro w/ A12X cpu/gpu, 256 GB, iPadOS 17

• Staff

We make use of the iMedia browser framework for the Media Browser component - and as far as I'm aware it asks the system for your iPhoto location - just one of them, not an arbitrary number of them... so I've no idea how this could work... and I don't know how your iPhoto copes with having multiple repositories? :S

It's an unusual (but obviously valid) setup so we'll try to sort it out, but it can't be particularly high on the list in comparison to some of the other things that are affecting everyone, sorry :(

Thanks,

Matt

Matt, thanks for the quick reply! I appreciate the hierarchy of bugs to squash... As an FYI, in fact Aperture and iPhoto both allow multiple Libraries without hacking; in Aperture there is a command to switch the current Library right from the File menu, not only the in Preferences... 

Man, if you guys haven't got a copy of Aperture in your labs, I recommend getting one for research purposes before Apple pulls it... There is a wealth of UI, tools, and workflow features in there to be inspired by...

We make use of the iMedia browser framework for the Media Browser component - and as far as I'm aware it asks the system for your iPhoto location - just one of them, not an arbitrary number of them... so I've no idea how this could work... and I don't know how your iPhoto copes with having multiple repositories? :S

It's an unusual (but obviously valid) setup so we'll try to sort it out, but it can't be particularly high on the list in comparison to some of the other things that are affecting everyone, sorry :(

Thanks,

Matt

2021 16” Macbook Pro w/ M1 Max 10c cpu /24c gpu, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Ventura 13.6

It's only showing my Aperture libraries which are not symlinks to Libraries on my other drive.... However, I can elect those same symlinks within aperture and they work fine...

Agree. I have problems opening Aperture libraries. I can see some iPhoto files. The media browser is an important tool and I could imagine a little criticism when this is compared with the excellent Aperture database and facilities. Still I can imagine that this is on your radar... good luck.

Hi Jerryfn, are you sure you have looked at Aperture > Preferences > Previews and changed Share XML with other applications to Always? If this does not make your Aperture library show up, then there might be a deeper issue ...  :unsure:

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.