You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Changing multiple different colours into one CMYK value

Hi!

Im working on simple vector files with only black and red colour, both as outline, fill or both. As these files are not created by one person they have multiple black values in CMYK.

How to get all different values into one so I do not have to manually find and change each colour?

I tried making a "create palette from document" but I can't merge all different swatches.

Or is there a way to change colours when exporting?

It adds to my problem that when opening this file and adding a text, the black is automatically rich black not K100 as I need in the whole document.

Could this be changed in default settings somewhere so opening new or old file all colours added will be in K100?

thanks!

• Staff

Hi hannat,

Welcome to the forums :)

Unfortunately Affinity Designer does not currently have a find and replace feature, but it's something we'd like to add in the future. The best you can do is select all of your black curves in the layers panel and re-colour them all at once.

1 hour ago, hannat said:

Is there a way to change colours when exporting?

There isn't in Affinity, you can change the colour profile, which can change how your colours will appear after export but you can't change colours themselves. 

1 hour ago, hannat said:

Could this be changed in default settings somewhere so opening new or old file all colours added will be in K100?

Select the text with the fill/stroke properties you want to become default then click Synchronise defaults from selection in the main toolbar (the blue cloud icon with an up white arrow). Affinity Designer will use the attributes of that selection from now on to create new objects.

You can reset the attributes back to their defaults by clicking on the Revert defaults icon (on the right of the Synchronise defaults from selection icon). :)

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)

I don't think there is a quick way of doing this. Something which might help is to assign a greyscale profile to the document, export as PDF, open the saved PDF. There should only be K values now. Obviously you'd have to copy & paste the non-black items from the original document into the new one. If you've got a lot of rich black items and only a few colour items this might be workable.

Windows 10 Pro, I5 3.3G PC 16G RAM

Thanks for the replies these help a lot.

I tried exporting PDF in grayscale but it seems not to work.

First I assigned colour profile to grey/8; black&white in document setup.

Then exported and opened the PDF in Affinity and still some curves have different values. Any ideas what I am doing wrong?

Rich blacks should have k=100 and CMY as various value such as 20 or 30 etc. These should convert to k=100 and CMY as 0 by doing what you did. But if the k value is not 100 it might not  work. I tried 30, 55, 22, 73 and it ended up as k=83 which is not surprising really. Are you getting something different?

Ok, that makes sense as some values do not have K100 and in my case the before converting was C91/M81/Y64/K95 and after converting the result on PDF is C84/M84/Y78/C99.

So actually there is still no work around in my case. Only as Dan C recommended to change the colours on layers, unfortunately I have a lot of layers and then if selecting them in layers panel I never know which object needs only changing the fill colour or only stroke. So I ended up adding stroke to everything and fill to some layers which did not have fill at the beginning.

Is there a way to select same colour/fill objects in Affinity?

• Staff
1 minute ago, hannat said:

Is there a way to select same colour/fill objects in Affinity?

1 hour ago, Dan C said:

Unfortunately Affinity Designer does not currently have a find and replace feature, but it's something we'd like to add in the future.

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)

Ok, I tried saving my affinity file into PDF several times and always same result:

First I in document setup I changed into Grey/8 (CMYK values = C91/M81/Y64/K95)

Then made PDF export "greyscale preset" 

Then opened the PDF again in Affinity and no luck, the values changed a little but not MYC are not 0 (CMYK values = C84/M84/M78/K99)

I add some pic of the settings I use. It feels I am still misiing something.

p.s I also made restart for my computer hoping for a miracle - no luck :/

174019273_ScreenShot2018-08-03at14_45_38.thumb.png.93db2b84433be37b9d3c4dc1c4d5ba23.png2128330211_ScreenShot2018-08-03at14_19_10.png.03cbde54e2ef4e1f2d157d1c45b34f68.png1489046712_ScreenShot2018-08-03at14_17_57.png.8b76313c13b431e3e8d58f28b49a281b.png378856178_ScreenShot2018-08-03at12_05_36.png.2262123cd6079b110593f77bd2d6e4ef.png

Actually, I don't think the document profile needs to be b/w. Just changing the PDF export colour space & profile should work. I've tried it here and it did once behave like  yours but all other times its behaved. I'm not sure if this is a bug or just me being careless. But even if you got this to work you'd still have to lock/hide the objects you wanted to keep before deleting the rich black objects in order to copy and paste from the b/w PDF. So why not just lock/hide the objects you want to keep the same, select everything else (rich black objects), make all these objects 100% black, and then unlock/unhide the others?

What you're getting is obviously not right. There is a way of resetting all the preferences which might help but I can't remember this.

This has always been a problem for me in designer, but over the past few years I've gotten into the habit of setting up a document palate consisting of global colours and spots that I'm likely to use before starting a job (indesign does this by default) then working making sure I only use those global colours - (I'd love to see this as the default setting with maybe a tick box somewhere in preferences where you can switch it off) - once in place, and your client mentions that they would like to change all the blues to purple, it's just a couple of clicks away so all the elements you have setup scattered between hundreds of layers will change instantly - say you have a leaflet with all the blacks set up rich (20.20.20.100) so it prints nice and punchy, this method allows you to take the design and transform to a regular black just by double clicking on the global colour -   works for me!  

Daz1.png

Mac Pro Cheese-grater (Early 2009) 2.93 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC Ram, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Ugee 19" Graphics Tablet Monitor Triple boot via OCLP 1.2.1 - Mac OS Monterey 12.7.1, Sonoma 14.1.1 and Mojave 10.14.6

Affinity Publisher, Designer and Photo 1.10.5 - 2.2.1

www.bingercreative.co.uk

Also moving between different colour profiles sometimes messes things up - If you stick to just one profile you can copy and paste between documents without colour shift - took me a while to get my head around this as I was just used to the Adobe way of things - only drawback is if you work in coated Fogra27 and your print provider recommends ISO coated v2 300%, which you can assign when exporting a print ready pdf, there is sometimes a colour shift, not always which I don't understand but I've had it where 100% black as changed to a rich black with over 300% ink density before just by switching profiles on export so had to go in and manually change everything (before I started setting up as global) 

Daz1.png

Mac Pro Cheese-grater (Early 2009) 2.93 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC Ram, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Ugee 19" Graphics Tablet Monitor Triple boot via OCLP 1.2.1 - Mac OS Monterey 12.7.1, Sonoma 14.1.1 and Mojave 10.14.6

Affinity Publisher, Designer and Photo 1.10.5 - 2.2.1

www.bingercreative.co.uk