You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Filling a shape with a tiled and/or scaled bitmap

Do I understand correctly that if I fill a shape with a tiled and/or scaled bitmap, then move on to another operation, the pixels of the fill are kind of snapshotted into the shape, so that any later scaling or stretching of the shape will scale or stretch the existing pixels, instead of revealing more of the tiled pattern?

If that is so, no problem, as I know a workaround would be to fill a larger second shape with the tiled pattern, and clip that shape within the primary shape.  Or leave the bitmap-filling until later.

Just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing a keyboard shortcut or toolbar option.

Thanks!

Alternatively, you can try using Clipping.

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

You don't say which app you are referring too?

What do you mean by another operation?

Designer and Photo will scale the bitmap pattern if you use the Fill Tool, then if you later add an effect or increase say the stroke width you can still come back to the Fill Tool to adjust the bitmap fill. Unless you rasterise the layer the fill will be editable and not baked into the shape.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

24 minutes ago, firstdefence said:

you can still come back to the Fill Tool to adjust the bitmap fill

I think that’s the OP’s point: you have to adjust it. There doesn’t seem to be an equivalent to ‘lock children’ for bitmap fills, allowing you to fill, say, a 500px square with a 50px tiled image and then resize the square to 1000px without having the tiles resize to 100px.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

1 hour ago, αℓƒяє∂ said:

I think that’s the OP’s point: you have to adjust it. There doesn’t seem to be an equivalent to ‘lock children’ for bitmap fills, allowing you to fill, say, a 500px square with a 50px tiled image and then resize the square to 1000px without having the tiles resize to 100px.

Got ya, so scale the object not the fill.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

• 3 years later...

A kind of solution ... Sorry this is a few years late, but I had the same issue and found this topic so others might too.  After reading this topic I decided there was no real solution, so just carried on with what I wanted to do ...

which was that I wanted to distort the shape, so converted it to curves and then used the Node Tool to move nodes - and the bitmap stayed without resizing or changing.  So there is a kind of solution: change the shape to curves, then use the Node Tool to resize the object.  The bitmap fill is still editable and you can change it with the Fill Tool.

1 hour ago, jwst said:

then use the Node Tool to resize the object

Yes, and if you use the Transform mode (available on the context toolbar when the Node tool is active), you can scale the object (holding down the Shift key constrains the aspect ratio) while keeping the fill unchanged.

• 1 year later...
On 2/14/2022 at 11:40 AM, jwst said:

A kind of solution ...  converted it to curves and then used the Node Tool to move nodes - and the bitmap stayed without resizing or changing.  So there is a kind of solution: change the shape to curves, then use the Node Tool to resize the object.  The bitmap fill is still editable and you can change it with the Fill Tool.

Thank you for this! Odd that there isn't a lock children option for this though, and that it works differently for shapes and curves.