You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Raw File issues related to Panasonic DC G9

I am having issues opening up raw files from a Panasonic DC-G9, mainly that the files are coming out severely undersaturated and underexposed and with the tint under the white balance tool set to 50% to begin with. The file does open up perfectly normal within iPhoto, so I'm not really sure why there's such a big discrepancy between the two programs. Could it be a setting within my camera or Affinity photo that I'm not aware of? 

I've attached one RW2 file and two screenshots. The colorful screenshot is Apple's 'preview' of the image in finder (also how it appears on the camera), and the undersaturated one is opened into Affinity. I'm having the same issue with every file. They are darker and undersaturated. I hope this is a simple fix that I'm too much of a newb to know about. Thank you. 

P1000610.RW2

Screen Shot 2018-08-02 at 10.31.33 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-08-02 at 10.32.08 PM.png

• Staff

Hi wprwheeler,

Welcome to the forums :)

Unfortunately your camera isn't supported by the Serif Labs RAW engine, however the Panasonic LUMIX G9 is supported by Apple Core RAW engine, as seen in this list.

DNG's should work correctly, but to save the hassle of converting (and using Adobe ;)) you can simply change the RAW engine being used in Affinity Photo!

Click the Assistant Manager icon image.png.7e3fef6d057875f3c1f54547436b906b.png in the toolbar, then in the bottom left of this window select Develop Assistant and change the RAW Engine to Apple. Now open your RAW image again and hopefully you'll see a similar looking image to Preview. 

Hope this helps! 

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)

@wprwheeler, just curious but you said the file opens OK in iPhoto. Do you mean you are still using that Apple app instead of Apple's newer Photos app?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• 2 months later...
  • Staff

Hi Brunswick83,

Welcome to the forums :)

Unfortunately the Apple Core RAW engine is only available on Apple PCs. We update our RAW support as often as possible, and I certainly hope the G9 will be included in our supported list for Serif Labs, however I cannot make any guarantees of this, or offer a time-frame currently, my sincerest apologies.

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

On 8/2/2018 at 10:45 PM, wprwheeler said:

I am having issues opening up raw files from a Panasonic DC-G9, mainly that the files are coming out severely undersaturated and underexposed and with the tint under the white balance tool set to 50% to begin with. The file does open up perfectly normal within iPhoto, so I'm not really sure why there's such a big discrepancy between the two programs. Could it be a setting within my camera or Affinity photo that I'm not aware of? 

I've attached one RW2 file and two screenshots. The colorful screenshot is Apple's 'preview' of the image in finder (also how it appears on the camera), and the undersaturated one is opened into Affinity. I'm having the same issue with every file. They are darker and undersaturated. I hope this is a simple fix that I'm too much of a newb to know about. Thank you. 

P1000610.RW2

Screen Shot 2018-08-02 at 10.31.33 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-08-02 at 10.32.08 PM.png

I have the same problem with RAWs from my Olympus EM-1 Mk 2 and that is a supported camera. I've been complaining for over a year now and I've come to realize I'm just going to have to live with it. My work around is to setup a preset that I can apply upon opening in the develop persona that boosts exposure, brightness and a few other tweaks that gets me close and then I can adjust from there. I've tried using the apply tone curve in the develop assistant but it doesn't quite get me to where I need to be so the preset works better for me.

Desktop: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X, 32GB Ram, RTX 3070, LG 27" 4K 10Bit

Windows 11 22h2

Dell Laptop: i7 7700, 32GB Ram, GTX 1060, 16" 4K

Windows 10 22h2

• Staff

Sorry to hear this Gregory, my colleague @James Ritson uses the Olympus EM-1 Mk2  (or at least used to!) and may be able to provide some helpful tips.

When opening the RAW, are you using Serif Labs or the Apple Core RAW engine? :) 

7 hours ago, Dan C said:

Sorry to hear this Gregory, my colleague @James Ritson uses the Olympus EM-1 Mk2  (or at least used to!) and may be able to provide some helpful tips.

When opening the RAW, are you using Serif Labs or the Apple Core RAW engine? :) 

I'm on Windows so I am forced to use the Serif engine, I was told by a few that it is a known issue and that Serif would fix it, but its been some time since I've discussed this issue so I don't think it's a priority for them. My work around gets the job done so I'm not that concerned but it would be nice if it was fixed.

Desktop: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X, 32GB Ram, RTX 3070, LG 27" 4K 10Bit

Windows 11 22h2

Dell Laptop: i7 7700, 32GB Ram, GTX 1060, 16" 4K

Windows 10 22h2

• 7 months later...

Wow.. having this EXACT same issue and I notice it's been quite some time that it has been reported. This post if 7 months old and the camera has been around for longer than that.

I'm guessing nothing will be done about it? A preset option does not even come close to the RAW export the camera can do to jpg so this is definately not a good option.

Any suggestions on other software that supports Lumix G9? (NOT Adobe) Having to convert is having to keep more data which is also way to cumbersome.

thank you

2 hours ago, cfyckt said:

Wow.. having this EXACT same issue and I notice it's been quite some time that it has been reported. This post if 7 months old and the camera has been around for longer than that.

I'm guessing nothing will be done about it? A preset option does not even come close to the RAW export the camera can do to jpg so this is definately not a good option.

Hi cfyckt,  have you tried down loading 1.7.0.333 Beta, which has support for the G9?

Affinity Photo, Designer, (1.10.4.1198); Sketchup

Windows 10 Pro, 64-bit; Ver. 21H2 (OS Build 19044.1566)

Intel i7-4790, 4 GHz; RAM:16GB; Graphics Card: ASUS (AMD) R9280-DC2T-3GD5.

Graphics Tablet: Huion Inspiroy HS610; Calibration: X-rite i1Display Pro

7 hours ago, cfyckt said:

Sure haven't but I would love to try it. Thanks for the suggestion!!

Downloading the Beta... hope it works.

Morning cfyckt, Sorry for the delay, (there's probably a substantial time difference in our two locations).  As you have probably found out, the easiest way to locate the Beta site is open Affinity Photo, Help>Welcome, then click the "User Forums", (bottom right corner on the welcome dialogue box).  Scroll down to Affinity Beta Software Forums>Affinity Photo Beta Forums, click "Photo Beta on Windows", select the appropriate Affinity Photo Windows Customer Beta.  Currently [https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/forum/34-photo-beta-on-windows/].

Hope it helps.

Affinity Photo, Designer, (1.10.4.1198); Sketchup

Windows 10 Pro, 64-bit; Ver. 21H2 (OS Build 19044.1566)

Intel i7-4790, 4 GHz; RAM:16GB; Graphics Card: ASUS (AMD) R9280-DC2T-3GD5.

Graphics Tablet: Huion Inspiroy HS610; Calibration: X-rite i1Display Pro