You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Instructions on how to convert a jpg file to a svg file

Would anyone be able to show me how to convert (any) plain jpg image to a svg image please? My only prior knowledge was in Paint Shop Pro. I am specifically interested in the Affinity software as I want to be able to create cutting files for crafting. I've tried but have not been able to get far at all. Tried looking for youtube videos, googling and searching for a manual for Affinity but have not found anything. Would really love to be able to resolve this within the trial period so I can make the decision on whether this software would work for me. 

A short tutorial or any written instructions would be awesome!

Thanks for any assistance.

• Staff

Hello Bleukit,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Sorry the delay replying to you.

As Hanzz and AdrianKLægreid pointed out, there's no automatic trace tool in Affinity Designer yet.

In case we move forward with it, it still may take a while until it's become available in AD since it's a complex tool to develop.

• Staff

Just wanted to quickly add to this, that if you're interested in creating outlines for cutting then no matter how fantastic an auto trace you can get, I would always draw my own outlines around the shapes I wanted to cut by using the Pen Tool. Cutting machines love continuity and smooth flowing, minimal curves - which you are not going to get from a simple auto trace, so I would invest the time and get a better result by doing it by hand, if it was me... :)

If you wanted to share with us the kind of thing you want to trace, we may be able to show you how to go about it with the Pen Tool?

Thanks,

Matt

• 2 weeks later...

Raster images are conventional which can’t be used on large scale. Such kinds of images are blurred during increasing picture size. That’s why; raster images are preferred among peoples. However, it is a function of Adobe Illustrator but feasible for graphics expert.

I also found series of samples of vector images at:

http://www.graphictunnel.com/2015/03/convert-raster-graphics-to-vector-graphics.html

• 1 year later...

Hello Bleukit,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Sorry the delay replying to you.

As Hanzz and AdrianKLægreid pointed out, there's no automatic trace tool in Affinity Designer yet.

In case we move forward with it, it still may take a while until it's become available in AD since it's a complex tool to develop.

I'm looking forward to the time when .svg files can be made! I am a Cricut cutting machine user, and need to be able to create .svg files. For now, I guess I'll go back to using PS. :(

• 1 year later...

You can read an .svg file into Affinity Designer. This may then allow you to remove the border and export it.

I looked at your .svg file and also downloaded it and loaded it into Designer. I can see no evidence of a border!

This is what it looks like in AD:

facebookScreenShot.thumb.PNG.8c38159df16f827891102c16549a754b.PNG

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

5 hours ago, John Rostron said:

You can read an .svg file into Affinity Designer. This may then allow you to remove the border and export it.

I looked at your .svg file and also downloaded it and loaded it into Designer. I can see no evidence of a border!

Well, I think I didn't save it correctly.