alanhook

Reset Origin of rulers to different point in Designer

MikeW,

I drag a guide out then another, I cant get a distance between them doing that.

I draw a rectangle, then another, ctrl hover needs the first selected, I drag out a second but the dimension vanishes so I cant place it a certain distance from the first.

explain a bit more please how with the dimension showing one can place the one item a certain distance from the other ?

how does one position guides. In Freehand one double clicked the guide and entered a distance relative to origin in a box.

If I want a guide so many mm from another how is this done ?

I have spent a lifetime working with rulers, not a day goes past without getting hold of a ruler., plastic , metal or wooden, place end of it and measure a distance,  place a mark where I need to cut or draw etc.

why AD wish to alter the basics of life defeats me. I am not using AD as as I need 0,0, so not able to use this prog.

unless this hover method can see me move guides and objects to an exact place. Its so base fundamental I am lost for words.

why are the rulers even there in that case.

I so want to use this prog, but need 0,0 placement unless there are other ways to place objects at a certain distance from others., to move an object and be able to enter a location for it relative to another object and it moves to that data entry.

some examples of how such is done ?

Steve1

7 hours ago, Steve1 said:

In FreeHand

… it was/is possible to copy distances of moved objects and use them for other objects.

the ability to move the origin  for the rulers is an absolute MUST HAVE! a pain with out it and it is needed in Publisher as well, as it is not available in there either!

7 minutes ago, TrevorML said:

the ability to move the origin  for the rulers is an absolute MUST HAVE! a pain with out it and it is needed in Publisher as well, as it is not available in there either!

Have you not yet noticed the pair of Tool Options you can add to the Affinity Publisher Beta main toolbar? One enables guides editing & the other enables page origin editing. I suspect both will find their way into the 1.7 versions of Designer & Photo.

486535142_tooloptions.jpg.2d7496de0f38f5c47697dd6b8c999e37.jpg

Affinity Photo 1.7.0 & Affinity Designer 1.7.0; macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 iMac (27-inch, Late 2012); 2.9GHz i5 CPU; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M; 8GB RAM
Affinity Photo 1.7.0.135 & Affinity Designer 1.7.0.9 for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iOS 12.3.1

18 hours ago, R C-R said:

Have you not yet noticed the pair of Tool Options you can add to the Affinity Publisher Beta main toolbar? One enables guides editing & the other enables page origin editing. I suspect both will find their way into the 1.7 versions of Designer & Photo.

486535142_tooloptions.jpg.2d7496de0f38f5c47697dd6b8c999e37.jpg

This is awesome; thanks for pointing it out, @R C-R

With  a very quick look at Publisher Beta... how great is the Zero point move... Thanks Affinity... Assuming that that will be the style transmitted to Designer I can only say that my birthday Easter and Christmas arrived on September 1st.  Just as the update for parallels arrived and a few weeks after the offer to update Corel Draw... I was about to shell out hard earned shackles but not now ... Roll on AD 1.7...

21 minutes ago, sambikeart said:

Is there  away of moving the ruler yet?

That is possible in the 1.7 customer beta so once the 1.7 retail update is released, it should be possible in that version as well.

Affinity Photo 1.7.0 & Affinity Designer 1.7.0; macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 iMac (27-inch, Late 2012); 2.9GHz i5 CPU; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M; 8GB RAM
Affinity Photo 1.7.0.135 & Affinity Designer 1.7.0.9 for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iOS 12.3.1

On 9/1/2018 at 7:34 AM, Rod N said:

I was about to shell out hard earned shackles but not now ... Roll on AD 1.7...

Shackles?? What nefarious deeds have you been engaged in, Rod? Or did you perhaps mean shekels? :/

Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer 1.7.0.367 • Affinity Photo 1.7.0.367 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.7.0.135 • Affinity Designer for iPad 1.7.0.9 • iOS 12.3.1 (iPad Air 2)

Hi GryphonArt,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
This was already implemented in the latest Affinity Designer 1.7 (currently in Customer Beta). You can download it from here (v1.7.0.3) in case you want to give it a try.
To change the ruler origin, just drag the origin from the top left where the rulers cross to wherever you want it on canvas. You can use snapping to help you place it precisely over reference objects.

1 hour ago, GryphonArt said:

Adding my request to this too.

Just -finally and out of necessity- started using Affinity and this is one of my first hurdles:-(

Do try the beta. I've had a few odd things happen, but everything seems to be working quite well.

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet