You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Reset Origin of rulers to different point in Designer

MikeW,

I drag a guide out then another, I cant get a distance between them doing that.

I draw a rectangle, then another, ctrl hover needs the first selected, I drag out a second but the dimension vanishes so I cant place it a certain distance from the first.

explain a bit more please how with the dimension showing one can place the one item a certain distance from the other ?

how does one position guides. In Freehand one double clicked the guide and entered a distance relative to origin in a box.

If I want a guide so many mm from another how is this done ?

I have spent a lifetime working with rulers, not a day goes past without getting hold of a ruler., plastic , metal or wooden, place end of it and measure a distance,  place a mark where I need to cut or draw etc.

why AD wish to alter the basics of life defeats me. I am not using AD as as I need 0,0, so not able to use this prog.

unless this hover method can see me move guides and objects to an exact place. Its so base fundamental I am lost for words.

why are the rulers even there in that case.

I so want to use this prog, but need 0,0 placement unless there are other ways to place objects at a certain distance from others., to move an object and be able to enter a location for it relative to another object and it moves to that data entry.

some examples of how such is done ?

Steve1

7 minutes ago, TrevorML said:

the ability to move the origin  for the rulers is an absolute MUST HAVE! a pain with out it and it is needed in Publisher as well, as it is not available in there either!

Have you not yet noticed the pair of Tool Options you can add to the Affinity Publisher Beta main toolbar? One enables guides editing & the other enables page origin editing. I suspect both will find their way into the 1.7 versions of Designer & Photo.

486535142_tooloptions.jpg.2d7496de0f38f5c47697dd6b8c999e37.jpg

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

18 hours ago, R C-R said:

Have you not yet noticed the pair of Tool Options you can add to the Affinity Publisher Beta main toolbar? One enables guides editing & the other enables page origin editing. I suspect both will find their way into the 1.7 versions of Designer & Photo.

486535142_tooloptions.jpg.2d7496de0f38f5c47697dd6b8c999e37.jpg

This is awesome; thanks for pointing it out, @R C-R

With  a very quick look at Publisher Beta... how great is the Zero point move... Thanks Affinity... Assuming that that will be the style transmitted to Designer I can only say that my birthday Easter and Christmas arrived on September 1st.  Just as the update for parallels arrived and a few weeks after the offer to update Corel Draw... I was about to shell out hard earned shackles but not now ... Roll on AD 1.7...

• 2 months later...
21 minutes ago, sambikeart said:

Is there  away of moving the ruler yet?

That is possible in the 1.7 customer beta so once the 1.7 retail update is released, it should be possible in that version as well.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

On 9/1/2018 at 7:34 AM, Rod N said:

I was about to shell out hard earned shackles but not now ... Roll on AD 1.7...

Shackles?? What nefarious deeds have you been engaged in, Rod? Or did you perhaps mean shekels? :/

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Staff

Hi GryphonArt,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
This was already implemented in the latest Affinity Designer 1.7 (currently in Customer Beta). You can download it from here (v1.7.0.3) in case you want to give it a try.
To change the ruler origin, just drag the origin from the top left where the rulers cross to wherever you want it on canvas. You can use snapping to help you place it precisely over reference objects.

1 hour ago, GryphonArt said:

Adding my request to this too.

Just -finally and out of necessity- started using Affinity and this is one of my first hurdles:-(

Do try the beta. I've had a few odd things happen, but everything seems to be working quite well.

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

• 1 year later...
12 hours ago, Nudder said:

What is the status of being able to move the ruler origin?

You can now drag the origin with the Move Tool to wherever you want. Double-clicking on it resets it to the top left corner of the document, & right clicking on it pop up a menu where you can change the document units.

Affinity Photo 

19 minutes ago, Oval said:

Sorry, @R C-R, you are always quicker.

Quicker doesn't mean better. I prefer your answer because the help page is more comprehensive -- I forgot that the origin can be set in the Guides Manager -- & because it reminds new users that the answer they are looking for often can be found in the built-in or online help.

BTW, I noticed that the Guides Manager will accept some numeric expressions for x & y origin values (like 1280/4) but unfortunately it ignores document references like w or h so "w/4" won't work.

Affinity Photo 

27 minutes ago, R C-R said:

it ignores document references

We all know that self-evident things like "move the actual object / origin by the last used movement” needs more time but hope has more time than one life ;-)

What would be great: If threads would automatically get an solved-sign if solved  😃

13 minutes ago, R C-R said:

unfortunately it ignores document references like w or h so "w/4" won't work

Try spread width or height (sprw, sw, sprh, sh).

Alfred spacer.png

3 minutes ago, Alfred said:

Try spread width or height (sprw, sw, sprh, sh).

I did. At least in the Mac versions, that doesn't work either. 😕

Affinity Photo 

1 minute ago, R C-R said:

I did. At least in the Mac versions, that doesn't work either. 😕

I’m sorry to hear that. I can’t try it on my Windows system right now, or I would have done so before posting.

Alfred spacer.png

19 minutes ago, Oval said:

What would be great: If threads would automatically get an solved-sign if solved

+1

Affinity Photo 2.0.3,  Affinity Designer 2.0.3, Affinity Publisher 2.0.3, Mac OSX 13, 2018 MacBook Pro 15" Intel.

1 hour ago, Oval said:

What would be great: If threads would automatically get an solved-sign if solved  😃

That would be an impressive bit of AI that would recognize whether a discussion had led to a solution, or not, and automatically mark the thread as solved.

And then, someone else would come along and ask a variation of the question, and the AI would have to recognize that and mark it Unsolved again, or automatically split the discussion into a new topic.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

The Apple Support Communities forum lets the original poster mark a solution if it is helpful or if it has solved their issue. This doesn't prevent others posting in the thread afterwards, at least until the thread has been inactive for a certain length of time, after which it is locked off. I think something like that would be ideal on the Affinity Forums, and would doubtless be easier to implement than an all-seeing AI.

Edited by h_d
corrected a typo

Affinity Photo 2.0.3,  Affinity Designer 2.0.3, Affinity Publisher 2.0.3, Mac OSX 13, 2018 MacBook Pro 15" Intel.

1 hour ago, h_d said:

The Apple Support Communities forum lets the original poster mark a solution if it is helpful or if it has solved their issue. This doesn't prevent others posting in the thread afterwards, at least until the thread has been inactive for a certain length of time, after which it is locked off. I think something like that would be ideal on the Affinity Forums, and would doubtless be easier to implement than an all-seeing AI.

FWIW, over the years, that Apple forum has used several different methods of ranking replies. When they switched to the helpful/solved method, the result was a lot of regular contributors (myself included) eventually abandoned the forum. There were 2 reasons for this:

The first is that since being awarded a helpful or solved by an OP gives you points that determined your "Level" (sort of like this forum's "reputation") & you get more perks as you achieve higher levels, a lot of those aspiring to the higher levels often get angry when someone else's posts are awarded points they think they deserved. The result is too many topics deteriorated into sometimes bitter arguments about whose answers were best, a lot of nitpicking about minor points intended simply to discredit the validity of another contributor's posts, & the inevitable ad hominem attacks that kind of bickering so often provokes.

The second, far worse reason is OP's often award points to posts that include a lot of erroneous information, or suggest doing something that can't possibly resolve whatever problem the OP has or is way beyond the OP's skill level even when it can. Some OP's are prone to awarding points to posts that merely reinforce commonly held misconceptions or complain that the issue never should have occurred to begin with, often for nebulous or nonsensical reasons.

Some users even try to "game" the system, like by posting easy to answer questions under a different user name or getting a friend to do it, & then posting a preprepared answer under their own user name so the bogus user can award them the points.

Of course, the Apple moderators try to limit the bickering & gaming, but there isn't much they can do about the rest of it without bruising a lot of egos.

Maybe none of this would happen here, but have my doubts about that, & about how ideal it really would be even if most of it rarely happened here.

Affinity Photo 

R C-R... isn't that sad...

I got into this thread several years ago and followed along and (occasionally) shared my frustration and then unbounded joy, when the movable zero point appeared (first in Publisher Beta) then in AD 1.7...

Apart from this thread I read a lot of posts and am eternally grateful when someone smarter than me (that a real lot of you) comes up with a solution that helps me.

It never occurred to me that there was a points system or reputation system in either the Affinity or Apple Forums...

I'm just a dumb designer from "Down Under" and if there was some points system, why it was so important to be recognised by a badge or a sticker ... so important that you would basically cheat to get one .

If it is any consolation I would have thought that coming up with a solution that others say "oh yeah" would be enough in "personal smug value"...

I am always grateful when someone comes up with an answer to a problem, that at times, I didn't even know I had... 

So to you R C-R, and h_d and walt.farrell and Alfred and all you other smart guys and girls ...  all I can offer is a big "heartfelt thanks"  

Reading your posts make me smarter