You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Reset Origin of rulers to different point in Designer

• 3 months later...

I always need to move the center of origin to design circular objects, and then using the origin as a point to rotate other elements around it.

Right now I still spend so much time to rotate each individual elements and draw extra circles to move back the rotated elements in place to maintain accuracy.

It is an essential feature located by users in the very earlier stage of the software improvement but still not able to take place after two years!

1 hour ago, Ecnavda said:

I always need to move the center of origin to design circular objects, and then using the origin as a point to rotate other elements around it.

There is no need to move the origin to do that, or even to show the ruler scale. You can do it easily with snapping & the show rotation center button (looks like a crosshair target) in the Context toolbar:

1. Draw your first circular object.

2. Draw another object.

3. Enable show rotation center & snapping.

4. Snap the rotation center of the second object to the center of the first object.

5. Rotate the second object, either using the rotation handle or the rotation field in the Transform panel.

Using the Transform panel for this allows you to enter precise rotational angles & use expressions like 360/7 to get angles that cannot be expressed as precise decimal numbers.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• Staff

Moving the ruler and grid origins will be in 1.7.   The work has been done, but was part of a major reworking that couldn't be included in 1.6.  It will go through Beta when we get into the next cycle.  Due to the changes incurred it will require a full Beta cycle, hence why it is going to be in 1.7.

SerifLabs team - Affinity Developer
  • Software engineer  -  Photographer  -  Guitarist  -  Philosopher
  • iMac 27" Retina 5K (Late 2015), 4.0GHz i7, AMD Radeon R9 M395
  • MacBook (Early 2015), 1.3GHz Core M, Intel HD 5300
  • iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

On 06/11/2017 at 10:53 PM, Ben said:

Moving the ruler and grid origins will be in 1.7.   The work has been done, but was part of a major reworking that couldn't be included in 1.6.  It will go through Beta when we get into the next cycle.  Due to the changes incurred it will require a full Beta cycle, hence why it is going to be in 1.7.

Would that include being able to change at least the Y-axis direction? i.e. page measurements starting bottom left and increasing upwards. Illustrator does it one way, CorelDraw the other, both systems have advantages/disadvantages. 

Windows 7 & 10 64-bit, Dual Xeon workstation(s) 64gb RAM, and single i7 laptop 32gb RAM

• 1 month later...

Dear Santa...

I have been good all year and as much as I would really like that 1973 Porsche... all I want for Christmas is a movable Zero point so I can finally get rid of all those other programs and use Designer for everything... I have been waiting since the day one version one... so please please please ... can you ask those terrific elves at Affinity to make me a present for Christmas???

I promise to be good all next year if you will just give me that one thing...

Thanks Santa

cheers

Rod

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
3 hours ago, Jim Roelofs said:

It's amazing, but not surprising, that my criticism of lack of ruler zero point shift in AD is not possible has been omitted. I must really affirm that this is a real productivity and vital feature for me.

Can someone let me know when this finally appears?

Ben has already answered the “when” question:

On 06/11/2017 at 11:53 AM, Ben said:

As for “amazing, but not surprising”, if you’re not surprised then I don’t understand how you can be amazed that the feature hasn’t been added yet.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Jim etal ...

I am a dual user absolutely Love my Affinity Designer (and Affinity Photo... but that is another story)... and I have to persist with Corel Draw Just for the zero moving feature... 

Jim... Please do not let this diminish (well not too much) the joy of the program(s)...

I will patiently wait till 1.7 then let my joy be unbounded when I finally delete Corel, Windows and Parallels from my Mac...

Waiting will make the receiving all that sweeter... Do not think for one minute that I diminish your needs for the feature... I too have that but we will rejoice when it finally arrives and we can use Designer to its full potential... Can you imaging the fun I can have doing architectural details with the unbelievable zooming capabilities of Designer

Till the we will have to wait...

p.s.  I looked in the stocking at Christmas and there was no Zero point mover in it... I must admit ... that was the moment I stopped believing in Santa...  

BUT Just maybe the Easter bunny is real

• 1 month later...

Yeah, please make this feature available as soon as possible – is there any scheduled release date for version 1.7?

I just did my first a bit more complex technical design in Affinity Designer and I was absolutely dismayed when I (soon) discovered that I couldn't reposition the origin/zero-point to fit flush with elements already drawn (or with guidelines).

As I'm really willing to at some point make the transition from Adobe Illustrator this feature (and some others – e.g. like instantly generating multiple precisely positioned copies of an element as with Illustrator’s "Effects > Transformation") are desperately needed. Finding workarounds to achieve the same results you used to do in seconds with AI is definitely a bit tiring – even if there are quite some things AD already did so much better than Illustrator right from the start...

Hi affinity guys & girls...

Just discovered a new application to use my Designer in/for ... doing all the prep work for our new (well in a few weeks) CNC machine

BUT I really need that moving ruler origin... So still waiting ... really do not want to set up all my work Macs with Parallels and Corel draw when it would be much more fun to install Designer on them

So how about I start a rumour (It's not true of course but most juicy rumours are not true)

"Affinity is about to launch in final form, no beta, the mod for Designer that allows the moving of the zero point... Yeah!!!"

OK that is not true and we will have to wait... (or do we???)

Apart from that keep up the good work Affinity... great programs

• 3 months later...

For Webdesign it is also very important to move the zero point, 1140 px is not enough, you need left and right distance to present the background of pages.
Since the posting was started for over two years: Your development is frighteningly fast ;-) Is it really that hard?

Tersmuse...

This line started in 2015...March...  so we have been patiently waiting.

To be fair the guys and girls at Affinity have been doing a lot with iPads etc so I just know that it is sneaking up on us... One day version 1.7 will hit ... we will have moving zero points and Corel, Windows and Parallels will be no more on my new Mac... until then I will have to just sit here and move things between setups...

In the meantime I have been doing a lot with Photo ... that is fun ...

NOW along with the release of AD1.7 we can have a web app and while your at it take that mind of yours and make a video editing program... just kidding

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I AM AFRAID AD DEVELOPERS HAVE KILLED MY FAITH IN THIS BEING A GO AHEAD LISTEN TO USERS PROG.

there are 4500 views of this request , vastly more than any other thread on page 1 except Linux and nothing has been done in 3 yrs.

Hi everyone, by the look of it, requests for ruler origin shift in AD have been around since March, 2015. This says a lot for me.

I have just updated AD to the current version 1.6.5 and within seconds of creating a page I need to place ruler origin at end of a line to measure my rivet spacing but how is this done, then I search this to find its being now considered oct 2015, well thats just under 3 yrs ago. Sorry without such a basic feature I cant use AD. I last used it a few yrs ago, couldnt fathom out how to cut two lines to join them at their junction, something I do thousands of times, told it cant be done easily, couldnt place ruler 0,0 and gave up.

I am back, give it another go.

tell me please both are possible now . 3 yrs wait isnt right. IF SUCH A SIMPLE CODING THING IS BEYOND AD, I AM SHOCKED, what have the updates aded that were more important than this ?

If we need something we have to wait 3 yrs or more ? AD need to be taken over by someone, .

Sorry but if such a basic ruler thing isnt done after 3 or more yrs I have lost faith in AD team who should be keen to create a vector prog which has  all the basic needs . To not be able to measure anything is nuts. To not be able to cut two paths that cross and join the parts required and deleted the offcuts is also nuts.

I await good news, please on both...fingers crossed.

We are more than halfway through 2017 and the ability to move zero point on the rulers has still not been added. Does anyone at Affinity have info on when this might happen in both AP and AD?

dont tell me the photo prog also doesnt have this ..oh double dear .

We have to be able to measure the length of things !!!! AD clearly not designed by actual vector users, but by artists who never pick up a ruler as such. That would explain the lack of a cutting tool.

Steve1

@Steve1

1. All caps is considered the internet equivalent of shouting. If that is not your intent, which some people consider rude, use something else for emphasis, like bold or underline text.
2. As they have said many times, all feature requests are considered but if or when they will be implemented depends on several factors, including the amount of work it takes to make them reliable & properly integrated with other existing, planned, or new features.
3. With this in mind, refer to the first post in the Sneak peeks for 1.7 topic for some insights about what they have spent a lot of time doing, why, & what we can expect from that.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

R C-R, I can understand @Steve1's frustration on this request for a "ruler zero point" feature. It is years since this was first requested and your lame excuse on the AD team's behalf is not helpful.

I'd like to know whether the team has run up against an Adobe copyright infringement? What else could be delaying this additional feature?

As registered users we deserve a better explanation.

Sincerest regards, Jim Roelofs

1 hour ago, Jim Roelofs said:

As registered users we deserve a better explanation.

You mean just like Microsoft, Adobe, & every other software company explains every decision that affects the timeline of their product releases or code changes to their registered users? :35_thinking:

Affinity Photo 

7 hours ago, Steve1 said:

I have just updated AD to the current version 1.6.5 and within seconds of creating a page I need to place ruler origin at end of a line to measure my rivet spacing but how is this done...

You can select one object, hold the ctrl key down (I suppose cmd on the Mac), and hover your mouse over the other object you desire to know the distance to...

capture-002147.png.ad1d6813ef12caefd6cdf2873aeea395.png

capture-002146.png.175cf49a691b1fe902e30f851e464354.png

I've done a lot of technical drawings including 3D mechanicals. I cannot remember the last time I used the ruler origin point to do so. It would be nice for those who desire it in AD, and I suspect it'll eventually make it into the software.

The people at Serif aren't putting it off for any other reason than there are simply higher priorities. You want movable ruler origins and I want something before those, and others want their things first, and...and...and Serif is in the position to be damned if they do and damned if they don't by one set of users or another.

On 23. August 2018 at 2:57 AM, Jim Roelofs said:

As registered users we deserve a better explanation

which will cost the time and money of other users that already understood many good reasons. For example in 1.7 we will get “Move the artboard ruler origin (with editing toggle)” because Serif spent considerable time overhauling the internals … 

If you need more …