You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Reset Origin of rulers to different point in Designer

I'm trying to figure out if there is a way to reset the origin (0,0) of the rulers. I'd like to reset the zero point to where 2 guides intersect. In other graphics programs I can usually grab the upper left corner of the rulers and drag to a point to rest that point to zero. Can't figure it out in Designer though. Is this even possible?

I have posed the same question in october 2014.

A number of users supported me, it is (as far as I am concerned) an essential feature of any design program.

Unfortunately, as far as I know, it has not been taken up by the feature request team.

I hope however, that more forum users would take the trouble to add the request to the feature request section of this forum.

• Staff

It's going to be added very soon.

SerifLabs team - Affinity Developer
  • Software engineer  -  Photographer  -  Guitarist  -  Philosopher
  • iMac 27" Retina 5K (Late 2015), 4.0GHz i7, AMD Radeon R9 M395
  • MacBook (Early 2015), 1.3GHz Core M, Intel HD 5300
  • iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

• 3 weeks later...

I am running Aff.Designer 1.2, Aff.Designer Beta 1.2.0.24229 and AffPhoto Beta 1.1.2.24216

Unfortunately, in none of them the Moveable zero ruler point has been added yet.

However, the new Grid is very good indeed !

• Staff

This will be added soon, and it will be listed in the beta post when it is.

SerifLabs team - Affinity Developer
  • Software engineer  -  Photographer  -  Guitarist  -  Philosopher
  • iMac 27" Retina 5K (Late 2015), 4.0GHz i7, AMD Radeon R9 M395
  • MacBook (Early 2015), 1.3GHz Core M, Intel HD 5300
  • iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

As far as I'm concerned this is a major flaw in AD and one that is preventing me from switching completely from Illustrator to AD, so I hope it is something that shows up sooner rather than later! Not sure how it got this far without this valuable feature!

• 3 months later...
  • Staff

Hi SeamusBerkeley, handshaper and skint,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

@skint

No, this is not available yet, sorry. It should appear in one of the next Betas.

It's not the only new feature coming and as such it may be getting delayed until the devs finish other things to be included too.

Rest assured it's coming. Bear with us while we get there.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Hello MEB,

8 months later and we are still waiting for this very useful feature. Can you point me to the  "beta" version you mentioned which has already implemented this feature, please?

Thank you

No, this is not available yet, sorry. It should appear in one of the next Betas.

It's not the only new feature coming and as such it may be getting delayed until the devs finish other things to be included too.

Rest assured it's coming. Bear with us while we get there.

• 6 months later...

More and more I realize that AD isn`t ready for production yet. No selection by colours and linetype, no possibilty to change the origin of the ruler. In Octobre 2015 we could read would be implemented in the next beta. Sorry, but next week we are in 2017.

More and more I realize that AD isn`t ready for production yet. No selection by colours and linetype, no possibilty to change the origin of the ruler. In Octobre 2015 we could read would be implemented in the next beta. Sorry, but next week we are in 2017.

Pray tell, why is moving the ruler to a different point important?  The software lists the position of every object/group, and allows specific placement of other objects/groups thru the transform. Or in the current beta, a continuous update of the space between various objects via numeric display when moved manually? 

Seems like a waste of the dev's time replicating that feature.

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

I used this feature all the time in Corel, create a new file, drag a vertical and horizontal guide away from the edge of the page and then zero the ruler to the corner of the guides. The area outside the guides was for dumping elements or testing stuff before I dragged it over into my design space. 

Im still getting used to AD but I find that using artboards for the same purpose is better, along with Guides Manager (View Menu). Just create one artboard as the design area, the ruler will zero to the edge of the active artboard. Then I create another artboard to the side for testing a dumping elements. Just drag elements across from one artboard to the other. Use the Guides Manager (View Menu) to set all your guides. I set four guides around the edge for the design area artboard first, its quick to do with the Guides Manager. Then from here I can quickly drag in any guides I'll need and then set them with the Guides Manager by just imputing the measurement I want. I very often create a rectangle shape the size I want the guides from the edge and then use with this on the right side to give me a marker to drag the guide line in. 

Its just the way I do things haha. 

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...